The Human Memory: Why Can We Remember Song Lyrics Better Than Class-Related Information?

8914
Oneedm

“I can remember song lyrics from popular 2003 songs, but can’t seem to remember a single thing the professor said yesterday.” You know all the lyrics to Partition by Beyonce, but when it comes to remembering stuff for your upcoming psychology test, suddenly the class becomes a distant memory. Why does this happen? To answer this question, we’re gonna have to take a look at your brain.

Memory itself is composed of three storage systems. They’re spread across three networks and each has a different responsibility in the memory making process. These three networks are encoding, long-term memory, and recall. Encoding is the first step in creating memories. The process of laying down memories begins with attention, where a memorable event causes neurons to be stimulated more frequently.

Things like emotions tend to increase the attention. The emotional side of an event is processed on an unconscious pathway in the brain. There are a total of four types of encoding: acoustic, visual, tactile, and semantic. Encoding for short-term memory storage heavily relies on acoustic encoding. Long-term memory encoding relies mostly, but not exclusively, on semantic encoding.

Because human memory is fundamentally associative, new pieces of information are remember more easily when associated with knowledge we already have anchored in memory. The next network is long-term memory, which was previously mentioned. There are two kinds of memories storages within this warehouse: episodic memory and semantic memory. When important personal events, and the feelings that are associated with these kinds of events, take place, they are stored in the episodic memory system.

Semantic memory is the long-term warehouse that holds silly facts we can recall when asked. For example: when did Christopher Columbus discover America? I’m sure you’re screaming the rhyme we’re all taught in grade school: “In 1492, Columbus sailed the ocean blue!” This system is responsible for storing school-related learning, and all those 90’s hits that we’ve been able to memorize.

The last network is the recall network, or the recall system. This network is responsible for finding the information stored within your brain. When I asked you about good ol’ Christopher, the answer most like popped in your head a second or two after you read the question, or maybe the famous grade school rhyme popped in your head instead of just the date. The recall system activates our higher-order thinking skills in order to help us find the answer.

Why can you remember lyrics over class info? You are/were more interested in those song lyrics than the information introduced in class. Music is wrote to help people form connections with the different pieces. When you hear a song that fits perfectly with an emotion you may be feeling, often times your brain will store that information and recall it when in a similar situation later on. Is the music industry brainwashing us? Not really, our mind is just a very interesting part of what makes us who we are.