How I Remember Halloween As A Kid

How I Remember Halloween As A Kid

"Trick or treat, smell my feet, give me something good to eat..."

11
How I Remember Halloween As A Kid
DesertGarden

Halloween is obviously much different when you're a kid. Staying out past your bedtime and collecting a ton of candy from around the neighborhood with friends and family was so much fun. Sometimes I would get tired and have to refuel and then go back out to finish the rest of the houses. The night seemed to last forever.

As I got older, I would receive questionable looks from adults telling me that I'm too old to be trick-or-treating or I just never got as much candy. Don't worry old man, I'm here to get the treat part of trick-or-treat, not to give out the trick part.

Now that I'm in my 20s, I've succumbed to attending house parties and passing out candy. Don't get me wrong, I love doing both of those things, but sometimes I just want to go back in time and run around without a care and collect as much candy as I can.

I actually liked when Halloween was on a school night because I would wake up really excited that it was Halloween and I got to see all my friends at school and we would plan out our night; what houses to hit, what time to meet up, and what we were going to be. Teachers would sometimes plan out fun activities, (some involving candy), to do that day or sometimes we were allowed to dress up.

When the bell rang, that was when the "night" officially began. I'd run home from the bus stop, making sure to crunch every leaf I could find on the ground, got a bite to eat, and then started getting my costume ready. The time between getting home and going out was so short since the sun went down early and doing things like getting dressed and driving to people's houses all took a good amount of time.

My parents bundled me up in layers of shirts and sweaters underneath my actual costume, (which I hated), along with comfortable sneakers and a pillowcase or two to put all my candy in, the second one for if the first one got too heavy to carry.

First things first, my sister and I had to have time to visit a couple family member's houses to say 'hi',show off our costumes, and collect the first few pieces of candy of the night from them.

Then when we were back in our neck of the woods and it was dark out, we were off to gather candy from every single house on either side of the streets in the neighborhood that had their lights on. At many houses we knew the people, but most we didn't. I always remembered the houses that gave out the awesome candy, or more than one piece, but I also remembered the houses that gave out the weird candy, (you know, like those popcorn balls or candy like Almond Joys and Mounds, AKA, old people candy).

The night came to an end when the streets became bare, (and quite frankly a little scary), and when I was sweating so much that half of my costume had either melted off my face or got taken off somewhere along the way so only a few bits and pieces remained.

Back home was the time to pour out the candy on the floor to look through it and see if any could be traded or eaten as a late night treat. Feet still hurting and face still flushed red, I would clean up and put on my pajamas, a little sad that Halloween was over but really happy that I got to go out trick-or-treating once again.

Those are the Halloweens that will forever be stuck in my head as happy and nostalgic memories.