Things To Remember When Moving Back Home For The Summer

10 Things To Remember As You Head Home For The Summer

It's coming up closer than you may think!

344

Summer break is right around the corner, and while everyone is so excited to finally get back home and enjoy the warm air, there are some things that everyone seems to forget once they go away to college. Any college student, from first years to seniors, must be reminded that things always change when they come home.

1. Your parents are going to want to spend some time with you

If you are like me, you don't go home too often during the school year. Give your parents a week or so to just spend time with you. Have dinner with them, watch a movie, or just sit and talk with them. (Just make sure not to tell them too much of your college adventure because the talk will turn into a life lesson).

2. It's their home now, not yours

You used to live in this house for almost 18 years, and then once you left, things adjusted to that. Trash doesn't get taken out as often, you recycle now, or there have been changes as to how certain things are done or where things are placed. Chances are, your parents aren't going to be happy when you accidentally throw away trash in the recycling bin, or don't understand why you can't suddenly use the downstairs bathroom because it's for "guests only" now.

3. There is no maid

Most colleges have custodians who come and clean the bathroom almost every day for you. At home, this does not translate to your mom. Try to pull your weight a little, and help clean up after yourself. It isn't hard to push your dish in the sink or dishwasher, or hang your towels up after a shower.

4. The house might be quieter

Back to point two, things change when you leave. And sometimes people pick up new hobbies to fill the time you once filled. Don't be weirded out when you get left home alone some nights without anyone or when they have plans in place of a time you thought you could have with them.

5. Having friends over will be different now

It won't be like when you were in high school. Everything is now prefaced with "no drinking," and most of the time your parents aren't going to want some college students over late at night. It doesn't work like that.

6. Your high school friends aren't going to be around often

If you are a first-year student coming back home is weird. All of your friends from high school are going to want to see you, but sometimes people change so much in college (and that's OK), but maybe you are compatible friends anymore. Learning to find new friends is a weird experience, and can make for a lonely summer.

7. You are probably going to work all summer anyways

... IF you even have time for friends that is. College is expensive, even if you aren't paying for college yourself or have loans, you need money for spending during the school year. Sometimes not getting to even see your friends for weeks at a time is just a part of growing up.

8. Try to spend time with your siblings

I wasn't close to my siblings until I went away to college. Maybe it was finally getting away and knowing my clothes wasn't going to be stolen, but I ended up growing closer to my sisters. Try to figure out what works for you and your siblings, and you truly won't regret it.

9. Don't rush the summer

At some point during the summer, you are going to want to get back to college. Don't rush it because as soon as you get back to school in the fall, you'll be wishing you were back on break.

10. Just breathe

Summer is the time to relax, so make sure to take some time and relax. Even if that means tanning in the sun in your back yard for an hour. Just try to lay down and close your eyes for a moment. It'll make your summer go by smoother.