Count Your Blessings

Count Your Blessings

Remember what the true meaning of the holiday season is.

2
Count Your Blessings
Country Living

It's almost Thanksgiving! I know what we are all thinking about: FOOD. This is one of the best holidays ever because there is nothing attached to it except for eating: no gifts, no intense decorations, no trees. Just turkey, stuffing, and lots of pie. Football is good perk as well, if that's what you're interested in. However, in the midst of all the food and the football, don't forget what the true purpose of this holiday is. Being thankful. Being grateful. Being modest. Remembering your roots. Remembering where you come from and being thankful for how far you have come, personally and in your family.

This is a beautiful time of year, when people come altogether as one. Regardless of your background, religion, culture, educational status, financial status, social status: we are all the same at this time of year. We all have the same goals: to give and to love. There is just something about this time of year that makes everyone a more unified, despite our differences. Though the days become darker earlier, people seem to see things in a brighter light. There is no better way to describe it than a certain magic in the air that touches the lives of every person.

That is what is important about this holiday, Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is the kick-off holiday into the season where peace and hope and joy and faith are our mottos. Make it a good Thanksgiving. While you're thinking about the turkey in the oven and the mashed potatoes on the stove, remember to look around you and be appreciative of all that you have. Tell people that you are thankful for their presence in your life. Do something extra for someone that you love. Give your dog an extra treat. Smile at your siblings a little more. Hug your parents a little tighter.

All of these things will make this holiday season that much more meaningful. Our goal should not be who gets the best present or who had the best ugly sweater or who ate the most food at the table. Our goal should be to love one another and appreciate one another, strangers and family alike.