My Remedies to 'Cure' Writer's Block

My Remedies to 'Cure' Writer's Block

Writer's block has surely taken over us all at one point another, but how can you fight it?

200
My Remedies to 'Cure' Writer's Block
Alysia Seymour

It's ironic that I write an article to you on how to combat writer's block, when I myself have writer's block at the moment. Especially with writing weekly articles, I'm asked How do you always have something to write about? or How could you think of a topic every week? It's a funny story, I actually get writer's block more than you think. What 'cures' writer's block you may ask? These ideas below may spark creativity to keep the thoughts flowing.

1. Go for a walk

I know what you're thinking, we walk daily. What I mean by go for a walk is to find a scenic route, take in the pretty flowers, or the cute dogs being walked. You're bound to think of anything when your mind is at ease.

2. ... or go for a run

Some people may be like me, when either stressed or in need of inspiration, go for a run. It stimulates brain activity and like going for a walk, it’s bound to spark a creative idea.

3. Read a book/magazine

You are more likely to have reactions to what you read, therefore, sparking potential ideas with your own creative twist. I know when I read certain articles on Facebook, Odyssey, or read my favorite book for the 100th time, I always find something to react to. And by re-reading articles or books it generates ideas you didn't pick up on the first time, therefore, providing inspiration.

4. Listen to music

Now that Post Malone's "beerbongs and bentleys" album is out, I'm almost positive you can take one of his songs that hits you in the feels and write anything about it. Listen to "Stay" and analyze the lyrics 'Tell me that it's all okay, I've been waiting on this all damn day...' or listen to "Rich and Sad" and relate it to you somehow, having everything in the world yet still feeling empty.

5. Look at old pictures, texts, or contacts

This may not be everyone's first choice, and I don't blame you, because this one can be emotional for some. By reliving some memories through pictures, texts or contacts, you're able to think to yourself my, how I have grown, how you've overcome the heartache or obstacles, and find yourself and your true friends. I know this gives me my biggest inspiration when writing because I am then able to reflect on the choices I've made, and how they have played out either in or against my favor.

6. Have someone give you a general topic and free write on that topic

Back in my junior year of high school, honors English III course, we spent the first 10 minutes writing on a prompt my teacher assigned for that specific day. It was a general topic like "life lessons you've learned," or "a letter to someone whom you want them to know something about you." Through these ideas of just writing for 10 straight minutes, you could pick out certain points that are highlighted more than others and elaborate on the idea.

7. Read inspiring quotes

This is another technique I heavily rely on. I look for inspiring quotes to screenshot and place them in an album solely of quotes titled "FEELS." When I'm feeling positive or otherwise, I read the quotes to keep me positive or for a pick me up. One quote that particularly gave me the inspiration to write a previous article of mine — "Stop Counting Down Days, Start Living In The Moment." Quotes are definitely a go-to!!