Does Religion Make You A Better Person?

Does Religion Make You A Better Person?

Do you have a religious ego?

1915
Does Religion Make You A Better Person?
CRW Flags

In order to show where I'm coming from and give you perspective on what I mean, let me start off with a little of my background. I was raised Catholic and a majority of my family is Catholic (we even have what I would call a family priest that comes to all big family events). All the way up until college I practiced my faith regularly: going to mass and confession, being an alter server when I was in elementary and middle school, going to youth groups and even traveling to Spain for World Youth Day in 2011. Then when I got to college, I stopped doing all of that, not necessarily intentionally, but now I'm lucky if I make it to Mass once a month. I don't hate Catholicism or Christianity now, I just don't really feel comfortable going through all of the motions of practicing since there are some parts of the ideology I don't believe in like I used to. It taught me a lot and I do feel I'm a better person for it but that isn't the case for everyone.

I've met and know many people that follow many different religions and systems of beliefs. The world is full of them and many of them even change slightly as you move from region to region and person to person. However, there are people in the world that don't really practice any religion and are not spiritual. Some of them are nicer and more caring than the most extreme religious fanatics, and this makes me pose the question "Does religion make you a better person?" Is there some kind of religious ego that people have? Is it the religion that makes them better or their interpretation of it? Everyone thinks that their religion or their beliefs are the best and the one true way, if they didn't then there would be no reason to keep them, but what happens when they are challenged? Everybody reacts differently when they are being challenged but how many people will seriously think and reflect upon that situation? When we were kids, we believed in the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus but as we got older and we became unsure we slowly, year by year, lost our beliefs in those until someone finally told us that they weren't real. Some would throw tantrums, some would go through shock, and others accepted it and moved on. I feel many people in the world act the same when their beliefs are challenged except there's a lot more judgement in people's reactions to their beliefs being challenged; you're either an extreme-religious-fanatic-nut-job or a fake non-believer when you either refuse to let your beliefs be challenged and throw a tantrum or allow your beliefs to change.

Some of the worst crimes and actions have happened in the name of God and wars have been held over religious disputes. I find it funny though because the main point of most religions I have studied or discussed with friends and teachers is to love one another and treat others the way you would like to be treated, yet people get so caught up in the smaller parts of their doctrines that they will fight and separate themselves from the very people that their doctrines tell them to help and try to convert. Now obviously I'm talking about more of the extremists but where do these extremists get their power? I would venture to say it's from their followers or religious peers that don't keep ask them to take a second look into their beliefs but rather encourage breaking the rules for the "greater good." Now as an American I believe they have the right to hold and openly discuss their beliefs but it is when they are acted upon in a radical way that shows they no longer think they are in the same boat as the rest of humanity, and that can be dangerous. This is why I don't believe that religion makes you a better person. I'm not saying that it's not a factor and can't help (as I said it has helped me become a better person), but it is also possible to hold a strong set of morals and improve yourself for good reasons other than religious reasons. I believe religions are just one path among many to the becoming an ethical and moral person that will look out for not only themselves but the rest of the world.

Now these are just my thoughts and beliefs, I don't expect everyone who reads this to agree or take on these beliefs but rather reflect and keep an open mind about how their beliefs not only affect themselves but others. You can disagree, I just ask that you do it respectfully so that we can co-exist in peace and further strive to make the world a better place.