How Reliance On Others May Be Stunting Your Growth And Happiness

You may only have a few moments in your lifetime when you are entirely void of the opinions and restrictions of others, so make them them count!

34
salon.com

While many of you probably opened this thinking I was going to give some advice about getting over your break up, or ways to enjoy your newly single life, thats not exactly what I had in mind. The truth is being single is far more than being void of that ex who cheated on you last month. Being single is being independent of all relationships. That's right even your family and friends, but hear me out.

As I was flying home from a trip recently, I watched the new movie "How To Be Single" on the plane. I rolled my eyes at the thought that a movie starring Rebel Wilson would ever teach me a lesson about life, but I was thoroughly surprised. While I expected a comedy and a few laughs, I left with a new point of view I hadn't thought of before. The point of the movie is to show you that you have a limited amount of time that you will have the chance to be entirely by yourself, entirely single to do and accomplish anything you want to with your life.

I began realizing that I preach being single in college all the time to my friends, but somehow I seem to lose track of it myself at times. I rationalize cutting studying short because my friends call me to come over, I miss a day of working out because my social life had other plans, I even contemplate skipping an opportunity to help better my future because the guy I was dating had off that week.

I love my family and friends just as much as the next person, and I do believe it is entirely necessary to have love and support in your life. In no way shape or form am I suggesting you must ditch these relationships to achieve being independent or single, but I am suggesting that you take a step back and reevaluate these relationships in your life. Do they ever stop you from doing even a small task that you want to? Or better yet, are they holding you back from dreams and aspirations of yours?

There will come a time where relationships that dictate your life to some extent are inevitable, but right now, while you're young, be single for as long as you can. Accept your parents advice about risks but go on the trip anyways, pick up the phone when your friend calls but finish studying first, and for the love of God do not put your future on hold for a romantic relationship, ever. Because relationships of all kinds come and go but you know what doesn't? Degrees, memories, and your accomplishments, those are all reliant on you and your determination.

Relationships are a necessary key of life, but you define how they impact your decisions, success, and happiness. Learning how to be single is much more than living without a significant other. It is learning how to rely on yourself for your happiness, and not having relationships because you're dependent on them or need them, but rather because you choose for them to be a piece of your independent life and journey.

But remember at the end of the road its your journey, don't look back and realize you strayed from the path or goals you desired because someone distracted and convinced you to give up your independence. You have a few moments in your life to be entirely single without the opinion of anyone else impacting what you want to do, so do yourself a favor and take them while you still can!