To Whoever Needs To Hear This: You Don't Always Have To Be 'On'

Let your muscles relax and your shoulders drop.

24
Photo by Alisa Anton on Unsplash

If you're reading this, I feel the need to say that I am really proud of you.

In what we understand as times of general mutual struggle, it's amazing how different our struggles can be, and how few know about them. There are struggles we couldn't think to be possible that others are going through which is why, at this moment in time, we need compassion.

Whether or not you feel the need to share your struggle and whether or not you can, what you do need is self-compassion; you need the permission to feel.

This requires checking in on yourself. Are you always 'on', always expending energy into keeping your focus on something else? Are you always trying to 'work it away', feeling like you just need to divert your attention to the next thing? If that sounds familiar and leaves you with a sense of tiredness or sadness, I want to tell you that it doesn't have to be that way. Maybe, you just need to be. You can just be.

Simply exist.

Take some time to really sit with yourself and acknowledge the feelings - open the door and welcome them, understanding that they are guests and won't be there forever. Embrace yourself and your capabilities, your resilience, and your presence. Recognize where you might be holding anxieties and in whatever measure you can, let them go. Relax your muscles: unfold your toes, uncross your legs, unclench your fists, drop your shoulders, loosen your jaw, and release the tensed muscles in your forehead. Let go of the strong face and honor this moment's real you.

Do this as often as you can and as often as you need. It can be an everyday practice of a few minutes so you can give yourself that intentional, purposeful time to release and heal, each time renewing and becoming a little bit more alive, a little bit more yourself. Finally, once again, I just want to say that I am so proud of you. Whoever you are and wherever you are, you've come a long way and have fought through so much. Be easy on yourself and most of all, trust that it will all be okay.

Sending lots of love.