Relationships Are Meant To Be An Adventure

When I learned that it was making the most of the simple things that truly mattered.

782
Melanie Paulsen

Every relationship is unique in its own way, but I know one thing for sure: a relationship is meant to be an adventure, and if it’s not, then it’s not right.

I’ve had my fair share of relationships, so I’ve been able to compare each of them. I know people always say not to compare, but how else are you supposed to figure out what’s right for you? I wouldn’t say I’ve had one relationship that stands out specifically, but what does stand out in each of my relationships are the times that I’ve had to go on adventures with each of them.

Don’t get me wrong, I love cuddling and watching Netflix with a bowl of popcorn, taking long night walks, going out to dinner or making a picnic just like every other girl, but it’s how you make the little things an adventure to truly show the depth of a relationship.

Not everyone can make you laugh until you cry, or go from sitting and watching a tv show to wrestling in a matter of minutes. Not everyone can keep you out all night because you just had to clear your head by driving around, blaring your radio and singing at the top of your lungs. Not everyone can turn a simple walk into remembering what it’s like to be a child and exploring new places. Not everyone will call you in the middle of the night to go jump in the lake—even if you both have to get up for work the next morning. Not everyone will decide that taking that spontaneous trip to jump off a waterfall is more important than studying for your test the next day. Not everyone will turn a simple dinner into a spitball fight. It’s all about taking the simple everyday things you do with your boyfriend (or girlfriend, for any guys happening to read this) that takes the relationship from being a good relationship to a great one.

Find someone who makes your heart race, who makes you want to go out and explore, or try new things, step out of your comfort zone. Find someone who’s sitting there waiting to cheer you on, laugh with you when you fall, cry with you when you’re hurting, but then to make you laugh to make it all better. Find someone you can be spontaneous with, who’s willing to follow you anywhere. Find someone you know will always be there, no matter what adventures life takes you through. Once you take a second to step away from all of what society tells you your relationship needs to look like and remember that life is meant to be fun, it’s meant to be an adventure, that’s when your relationship—and life, itself—completely changes.

More than that, though, the adventure is also getting to know someone. All of their quirks, pet peeves, opinions, favorite things, everything makes them into the person that they are. So, when you find someone truly worth getting to know, make that your ultimate adventure. At the end of the day, all of the adventures make the memories, but the adventure of getting to know someone's heart is the true relationship.

"Love is meant to be an adventure." -Gordon B. Hinckley