I Am Relatable

Picture Perfect Isn't Relatable But Awkwardness and Pain Is

We aren't made to live in comfort, we impact when we're awkward and real.

12
Loui Wenig

When was the last time you were out of your comfort zone? Was it during a work or school presentation or speaking event? Maybe you were just trying out a new hobby or maybe it was talking to someone you've never met before and you're awkward so you don't like meeting people, or maybe it was something completely different than those three things.

The last time I was out of my comfort zone when I was asked to speak in front of youth group. I'm a youth leader at my church so I help out at youth group and hang out with middle school and high school kids, it's a good time. But even though I'm a leader, it was still way out of my comfort zone.

Right when I was asked that, my stomach dropped like I was on a roller coaster, my hands began to sweat, and I began to think of every possible idea as to why I shouldn't. The two most prominent things that came to my mind was: saying no and running and the fact that I'm the youngest leader so what do I really know about life?

I tell people all the time to get out of that place we all have in our heads and just do something you've never done before. It's certainly not easy but it will make you a better people person and others will trust you when you're absolutely yourself. People need to see the bravery of others so that they can learn to be vulnerable and know that they themselves can make an impact. The world is a place that wants to keep quiet about the things of pain and vulnerability and even just standing up for what's right. It's hard but the rewards are so worth it.

After I spoke at youth group weeks ago, there were a couple of kids that came up to me and said they needed to hear what I had to say and they were glad that I had the courage to speak in front of people. I actually was in shock. Someone related to my story? Someone actually listened to my words?

It's so easy to brush our ideas and opinions and even ourselves under the rug but the truth is that others need to hear what we have to say. Everyone has something they feel the push they need to do and if you're waiting for a sign to get out of your comfort zone, this is it. Go do it and change the world.