Ways Rejection Is A Good Thing, As Told By 'New Amsterdam'
Television Streaming

13 Unexpected Ways Rejection Is A Good Thing, Explained 'New Amsterdam'

"The good news is I can fix a broken heart." — Dr. Floyd Reynolds

107

Rejection sucks, but it doesn't always have to be a terrible thing. No one explains this better than the cast of "New Amsterdam."

You learn who will always be there to support you

Being rejected brings out the worst of the best people. But if people can't handle you at your worst, do they deserve you at your best?

Pay attention to who stays by your side after you've been rejected.

You learn that you can't always take shortcuts

Unfortunately, taking a shortcut can lead to rejection. There are some things in life that require 100% effort and dedication.

You take the time to focus on yourself

Whether you like it or not, being rejected forces you to focus on yourself. Yes, you'll probably wallow in self-pity for a while, but that's OK. Sometimes you need to break down and indulge in the entire bag of potato chips.

You cry

Tears allow the body to physically release emotions like stress, sadness, anxiety and frustration. A good cry will benefit your physical and mental health.

You learn to reevaluate situations 

You didn't get the job you wanted? Maybe it wasn't the job you needed. It may take time before you can see the good in the situation, but if you look hard enough you can find something positive.

Take it from Dr. Iggy Frome — Iggy: "Hey, are those facts or those feelings?" Jemma: "Feelings," Iggy: "Right. They're feelings, so why don't we try sticking to the facts."

You're ahead of the people that aren't even trying

You'll never get anywhere if you don't put yourself out there.

It's evidence that you're pushing the limits

Being rejected doesn't mean that your ideas are invalid. Sometimes, people get too used to staying in their comfort zones and can't imagine pushing the limits.

Rejection never hurts as long as regret does 

There's always a new day to keep following your dreams, but you can't get back the days you wasted standing still.

You might learn that what you thought wanted was sugarcoated

Whether it's the guy on Tinder that isn't ready for a serious relationship or the organization whose job posting isn't transparent, systems are notoriously rigged to result in rejection.

You get to reevaluate what's important 

Maybe the reason you were rejected is that you're supposed to stay where you're at. We often fail to realize how lucky we are to be where we're at.

You might have been thinking too small

What if rejection from a mediocre job leads to your dream job where you can make a difference in the world?

It's better to be rejected than ignored

At least someone has taken the time to acknowledge that they think you need to be rejected. It's a lot easier to ignore someone completely than reject them.

Spoiler alert: it's not easier to reject cancer in the long run though.

Only you can define who you are

People will always notice your mistakes over what you've done right, but that doesn't make you wrong.

Take it from Dr. Vijay Kapoor and Iggy — Kapoor: "You have to understand, they're afraid of what others think," Iggy: "Yeah, but who cares what others think?"