Reinventing Valentines Day

Reinventing Valentines Day

The good, the bad and the ugly of Valentines day refocused around the one single idea of love.

35
Reinventing Valentines Day
Clipart Kid

Valentine's day originated as a day dedicated to an ancient Roman festival of Lupercalia, a fertility celebration. This celebration took place on the 15th of February. Multiple stories suggest a variety of things that could have occurred to lead us to the creation of this holiday. This day has taken many different shapes and forms over the years. This holiday follows individuals by their side as they grow up into adulthood.

Our earliest memories of Valentine’s day are usually the ones when we are young kids enrolled in grade school. February 14th used to be a day loved by every little kid 12 and younger. Excitement would build as valentine day shoe boxes would be crafted. As the elementary classrooms would fill, so would these boxes. These handmade mailboxes would soon be home to goodies, notes and love from every fellow classmate in the room. As we enter our teenage years and venture into adulthood, February 14th turns into a day of dread and anxiety over whether we have found the perfect gift for our significant other. Difficult date night decisions or dateless days can cause distress for weeks instead of the excitement that would fill our childhood hearts. Couples are lured into spending crazy amounts of money on their significant other prove their love. Loneliness has become the unwelcome guest that plagues the lives of those with no significant other around this this time of the year. The focus has shifted from loving.

A holiday cluttered with images of hearts, cupid and love has such a different definition of what it looks to be. Valentine's day should be about showing true love to those you really care about. This love can be shown in a variety of ways. This love doesn't always need to take form in fancy, shiny jewelry but can also just be as simple as a pizza and some flowers or informing someone how much they mean to you. Below are some things I think we, as a society should take into consideration this upcoming February the 14th, Valentine's day.

Share some love with someone other than your significant other

Although Valentine's day has traditionally become a day focused on the love between a couple, we should make an effort to break this. This Valentine's day we should hold more doors for strangers, call loved ones we haven't heard from in a while or send long messages to our friends about how much we care and support them. I am not insisting all gifts bought for an s/o should be tossed out the window because they lack importance, but yet we should make our love for everyone in our lives more evident on this day. We shouldn't just celebrate one loved one but every special being we are lucky to have.

Bring it back to elementary school by making everyone happy with a small token of affection

Let's summon our inner child and give Valentines to everyone. Although it makes not be possible, physically or financially, it should be attempted. Grab a box of valentines with goofy lollipops or create handwritten valentines to hand out to family, friends, coworkers, strangers and mutual friends. Make them excited, shocked and happy with a small token of valentine's day loving. Its surprising to see how happy you can make someone by doing so little for them. Remember it's truly the thought that counts.

Random acts of kindness

These random acts are the most important and rewarding acts there are. When you do something like this whether it be large or small you are impacting someone's day. A random act of kindness can be as small as helping a stranger out when you see them struggling or even something a bit more like paying for their bagel and coffee before you start the day. An action along these lines can influence one's life and inspire them to create more happiness in this world.

Smile

This is important for every day, but most importantly for today. Take a step back from the stress or havoc this day might bring and smile. Whether you are single, having relationship problems or happy as can be with where you are in life it is important to remember what makes you, you. It is important to remember you are enough in any situation and not to get down on yourself because you are stuck comparing yourself to others. So remember to smile about the simple things in your life that make you special.

Send funny valentine cards to make someone laugh and brighten their day

Sending one of these funny or slightly inappropriate meme valentines is a perfect way to share some laughs and love to anyone in your life (okay maybe not to older relatives if these fall into the slightly inappropriate category). These valentines have been a growing trend over the years and do not see an end coming anytime soon. These memes add a relaxed, funny charm to this holiday and who doesn't love that. So print some out or fill your camera roll with screen shots of them and get some sent to all your valentines.

Make yourself your own valentine

In the wise words of Parks and Recreation Characters Tom Haverford and Donna Meagle, “Treat yo self”. Enjoy the day! Buy yourself something nice, dress up a bit more and “treat yo self!”. You are the most important person in your life so consider showing yourself a little affection on this day of love by adding yourself to your list of valentines.

Appreciate all the love around you

This world through the best and worst times has so much love to offer. Right now it is especially important to recognize the love around you and embrace it. Show those in your life that you love them, respect them and support them. This is the most important gift to give around this time in February.

Valentine's day should be about loving everyone in your life. One is absolutely able to show affection towards their s/o with gifts and goodies.Yet, I believe it is equally important to show some love towards yourself and the platonic relationships in your life as well. Love comes in a variety of shapes and sizes, which makes it unique. Love does not have to be shared solely between a couple but can be shared between friends, family, pets, yourself and even strangers. This year as a society let's spread smiles and love. Lets share acceptance and support on this day as well as on every single day. Larger attempts should be made to alter the way we think about this holiday. Lets love each other, our s/o's and ourselves, more than ever. We can make improvements in this world and to this holiday one person at a time. So here's to a revamped Valentine's day full of loving one another and loving ourselves.