I Won't Act Sad If It's Trendy
Mental Health

If You're Out There Acting Sad Just Because It's Trendy, Count Me Out

I shouldn't have to feel guilty for being happy just because you refuse to be positive.

48

I used to think self-deprecating jokes were so funny. I think there's something relieving about getting bad thoughts about yourself out into the open so that other people don't think you're stuck up.

My friends and I regularly have rant sessions. As 19-year-old women, we all love to sit at dinner and just complain about anything and everything that inconvenienced us throughout the day or week. It's human nature, and I think that everyone deserves to have a support system where they're allowed to be negative for a little bit as long as it's not toxic or harmful.

However, I refuse to sit and stew on things. Anyone who knows me knows that I am the biggest proponent of social media and the internet becoming parts of our everyday lives. But, I'm fully annoyed at how dramatic it has made everybody.

Every little thing is the end of the world for no reason. Every week I see someone trying to start a thread of crying pictures. It's weird and makes me uncomfortable. I don't want to see that.

Don't get me wrong, I used to be one of the biggest proponents of "sad boi hours." My senior year of high school I would regularly send pictures of me crying to my friends because of something stupid. It became part of my personal brand to always be crying and complaining.

I realized that it was annoying and looking back I would have told myself to shut up so long ago. It's not that nothing was actually wrong, but I was just avoiding getting help for very real problems because I thought it was cool that I was sad. It wasn't.

It's gotten to the point where I'm afraid to enjoy the good things that happen to me.

I never want to talk about my accomplishments or even brag a little bit about the good things that happen in my life because it always seems like everyone is miserable. Pessimism is one of the worst traits to have.

It gets tiring to listen to someone's constant whining and groveling. For some people, it seems like nothing good has happened to them ever, which I honestly highly doubt.

Don't get me wrong, it's okay to get help if there actually is something wrong with your mental health. It's not as simple as telling someone to "just be happy." But at the same time, it's extremely draining for everyone around you to listen to nothing but negativity.

The only person that's going to be able to fix your point of view is yourself. It's not fair for me to feel bad about you not being able to handle everyday life. Take it from someone who had to pull themselves back up from a rough place, it is possible, but it's never going to be possible if you don't try to change something about your outlook.

As for the people that act sad just because they think it's funny: stop it. It's not trendy or funny to be dramatic or act sad all the time. You're the worst kind of person if your sense of humor relies solely on self-deprecating jokes. If you were actually funny, you'd be able to formulate an actually good joke.