College Is Truly What You Make Of It, I Learned That Sophomore Year

Freshman year, I was very reserved and did not go out often. This year, I branched out.

68
Caroline Parry

This school year was truly a time of growth and full of so many unforgettable experiences. Looking back to September, I cannot believe how fast this year went by. It feels like just yesterday I was moving into my apartment and saying goodbye to my parents as I embarked on another year of college.

I lived in an apartment for the first time, which was quite different compared to the dorm I lived in last year. I had so much more freedom, and my own room as well. The one thing I loved so much about living in an apartment compared to a dorm was the independence I gained.

Being responsible for cleaning and cooking really completed the adult experience for me. I will say one of the main perks of living in an apartment was also never having to wait to do laundry, which was always nice. I think living in an apartment was so beneficial for me because I learned responsibilities such as paying bills, but from those responsibilities, I gained real-world experience.

Something else I learned this year was how to really study for exams. Prior to college, I did not have much of a study routine. This year I really began preparing for exams and turning class content into knowledge. Now that finals week is over for me, I can gladly say I am halfway done with college. That is the scariest yet exhilarating feeling in the world.

I really enjoyed sitting down and studying for my exams this year because I finally felt like I was learning something important that I could take away from college. Despite having to do an all-nighter to prepare for my criminal justice exam, and over-stressing for my argument and debate final, I think I learned so much about myself and the study techniques that benefit me.

Lastly, the most important thing I learned this year is that college is truly what you make of it. Freshman year, I was very reserved and did not go out often. This year, I branched out and became a lot more social and I really think I benefitted from that. I am leaving sophomore year of college a much more wise and experienced person, and I am looking forward to what junior year holds for me.