18 Thing's I Learned At Age 18

18 Thing's I Learned At Age 18

These things have helped me realize what I really want at the end of the day.

16
18 Thing's I Learned At Age 18
Sarah Daentl

1. Looking at the glass half full is life changing.

Going through life here in the U.S is a blessing. Our lives could be less extravagant and less privileged. Some things might not always go your way but it’s still going. We might not have it all but we have more than enough. Realizing this is a pivotal part of life.

2. Music heals most wounds.

As you relate the words to your experiences, the song begins to make sense. That's how you know you are in love, heartbroken, or lost. It's a beautiful thing.

3. Your Dad will always be the most important man in your life.

Some dad's stick around and some don't. For those of us whose did, he is your best friend, your #1 fan, your advice giver, and your hero. He is the example for the kind of man you want to have in your future. For those whose left, he is still so important because he is a model for the kind of man you don't want in your future.

4. Not everyone is going to like you.

If you know someone hates you, especially for no reason, move on. That's their problem, and there is absolutely no point in dwelling on their negativity.

5. That boy who hurt you was the best lesson.

After the dust settles, your first heartbreak opens your eyes to so many things, like what you want, what you don't want, and what you need. The pain felt is temporary, and once the pain stops, it brings you a sense of hope for what's to come.

6. Your education and your intelligence is 100% yours.

They can take all your money, all of your clothes, all of your food, all of your possessions, but no one can ever take away your knowledge and what you carry in your head. Your knowledge is yours, so what ever you choose to study, invest in it fully, and don’t let anyone put restrictions on your education.

7. It's okay to fail.

Without failure, success would not be so worthwhile. There are so many times where hard work just doesn’t pay off, but it’s all part of a bigger plan that you have to trust.

8. If you don't love yourself, no one else can.

Self confidence goes a long way, and potential partners pick up on that. It’s hard to be your true self, especially in today's society, but it’s necessary. Once you are confident, respect yourself, and love yourself, you can open up to all of the wonderful people out there.

9. Alone time is necessary.

Being alone lets your soul grow and learn independently. You become an individual when you are free from the pressures and negative vibes of others around you. Simply speaking, there are much worse things than being alone.

10. Perfection stunts growth.

Our world revolves around perfection, too many people are focusing on ideals rather than the beauty that is imperfection. We are all different because each of us have a special purpose on this earth. To ignore uniqueness only hinders the personal growth we all must go through in order to find our place in the world.

11. You don’t have to have lots of friends to have good friends.

There is something truly amazing about only having a few, completely trustworthy, will-be-there-till-the end-of-time, type of friends. Quality over quantity any day.

12. Standing up for what you believe in is always a good thing.

It is incredibly self empowering to stick up for yourself and for others. As young adults, we finally have the opportunity for our voices to be heard. Although not always taken seriously, our opinions matter, and fighting for what is right will always be worth it.

13. High School doesn't matter after High School.

Cliché but true. The shoes you wore don’t matter anymore. The way you looked, the sports you played, or the number of parties you went to, they don't matter either. What matters is how you treated others, how you chose to treat yourself, and how much time you took to prepare yourself for the journeys that lie ahead.

14. Forgive others, but don't forget to forgive yourself.

Others might put you down and treat you wrongly, but always forgive them. Grudges are ugly. If you make a mistake, ruin chances, or miss opportunities, don't be so hard on yourself, instead make changes and grow.

15. Whoever your family is, keep them close.

Family will always be there for you, they will love you unconditionally, and they will always have your back. Whoever you call family, love them, and tell them you love them, always.

16. Never let anyone make you feel like you are hard to love.

As said before, not everyone is going to love you, but that doesn't mean you are hard to love. Just because that boy walked away because it wasn’t convenient for him, or because things were too hard doesn’t mean you could have made it easier. You are who you are, and some people aren’t going to take the time to love you, but that doesn’t mean that you aren't worthy of it.

17. If you tell yourself you can't, you won't.

Attitude is everything. Having a negative attitude towards something you don't like, for example, math, won’t help you pass that hard math final. Telling yourself you can't do something, won't help you achieve anything.

18. You have a lot of growing up to do.

The 18th year is such a growing period in life. You graduate from 12 years of systematic education and then you are sent of into a world where work is not an option, college is tough, love is hard, friendships are tested, and you finally have the freedom to do what you want with your life. That’s a lot to handle all within 12 months.

So as the 19th year begins for me, and so many others, I know I have so much more to experience. It won't get much easier from here, but I accept that, and I’m ready to face it head on.

Here’s to year 19.