Rediscovering My Creativity

Rediscovering My Creativity

I hit an artist block that took years to overcome.

38
Rediscovering My Creativity
Personal Photo

At a young age, I developed a strong connection to drawing and using paint to dance across a piece of paper. I loved every single moment of school but my favorite part was definitely attending art class once a week. I got to turn my mind into a story right in front of me with just a paintbrush or marker.

As I entered middle school, I started searching for somewhere to belong. I had been told by countless people to find something you loved and run with it. I tried out different activities to thrive in and just nothing was giving me the feeling I was searching for. I decided I was going to take art and make that my place to belong.

I ended up taking the entry level art class for my elective in seventh grade and falling even more in love with being creative. I took every art class my middle school had to offer and knew that was something I wanted to pursue with the rest of my life. I got the affirmation in those classes and through my teacher that sealed the deal that this was where I belonged.

To my dismay, I would find to lose my drive and creativity in high school. After taking the introduction to art course, I didn't sign up for anymore classes. I felt discouraged because it wasn't like what I wanted and I didn't feel I was where I belonged anymore. To this day, I find that to be one of the biggest regrets in high school

I envied all the art students as I walked through my school with their beautiful pieces hung on display. I lost what they had and gave up trying to get it.

Almost 4 years from my last art class and I have learned to rediscover what I have missed all these years.

After I graduated high school, I had a lot time on my hands that needed to be filled and a future that ultimately needed to be decided upon. I vividly remember starting to draw one night before I was due to move into my dorms for college. Everything inside me started to light up as I was uncovering something I once loved. As months went by, I distressed from busy college days and nights by picking up a paintbrush here and there. I realized I wasn't as bad as I once convinced myself and I promised myself from that point on I was going to dig up my buried passion.

Ten months, dozens of canvases, bottles of paint, dirty paintbrushes and hours of brainstorming later, I can say my creativity has been rediscovered. I stopped letting my thoughts cloud my creativity and just started running with my ideas.

I am beginning to see my talent for what it is and not what it was at one time or what it could be in the future. I see my art in a different light and it brings a much bigger joy than it once did.

If you ever find yourself doing something you love, don't ever let something or someone stop you. Take your mind and passion and just run with it.