One Redbird Leaves The Nest, A New Redbird Flies In: A Letter To Incoming Freshmen

With school being right around the corner, I felt it was only appropriate to write an article about it; specifically college.

17
Kara Bainter

The four years you spend in college go by ridiculously fast, and if you aren't treasuring every minute, it's going to go by even faster. If you are going to be a senior, like me (cue the ugly sobs), you are reminiscing on the past three years: the good, the bad and the ugly, quite literally.

As of recently, I have been remembering my freshman year the most out of the three. When I was a freshman, I was excited and nervous and scared all at the same time. Coming into a college that is so community based is very intimidating, as if not knowing anyone wasn't intimidating enough. So, I sit here to speak to all of the future redbirds out there — this letter is for you. So without further ado:

Dear Baby Redbirds,

Hi. You don't know me, and you probably won't because I'm a senior and seniors, no matter the major, are pretty much like a rare Pokémon. We don't really reside where everyone else does (cough, cough, the quad); we kind of hide in our buildings where our classes are. But we do overall exist with every other Redbird simply because we are (I Redbird, You Redbird, He, She Me, We, Redbird — you get it). I am writing this letter to you so you don't make bad choices (your mom will thank me), you feel less overwhelmed on your first day of class and you can make the most of your Redbird life.

I will format this letter in the form of a do's and don't's list. This will make it easier to read and also easier to understand. With that, I would also like to point out that while I am suggesting these do's and don't's, that doesn't mean that I have done these things. But it also doesn't mean that I haven't (mwahaha, you may never know).

Don't dress up for your first day of class. While your mom may be texting you asking for a picture, do that before you leave your dorm, and then change and walk to your class in whatever you feel most comfortable in. Otherwise, women especially, you may have some tweets being tweeted about you and the 50 other freshmen women who are wearing dresses. Although I do applaud you if you do decide to dress up for the first day and don't have sweat dripping down the side of you face from the August humidity. But hey, if you live in Watterson, don't worry that sweat will dry up real quick! #WattyWindTunnel

Do make sure you know which building is which. For example, Felmley Hall is not the same as Fell Hall. If you don't, you will end up late to class and everyone will look at you when you walk into the room. This is even worse if it's a class of 200 students.

Do sit by someone you don't know. You will probably have to do an ice breaker anyway (no, those don't stop after high school), so you might as well meet someone new that way and sit by them each time you have that class. Boom, you've already made one friend; I am so proud of you.

Don't be afraid to talk to your professors, especially if you find them to be interesting or they teach courses in your major, you'll probably see them a lot in the future, so might as well introduce yourself now. The professors don't try to be scary or intimidating, they are just as nervous as you are, so don't hold back. It's like making a new friend who is probably 20 years older, 50 years smarter and might still have a wardrobe that is stuck in the '90s.

Just because it is college, doesn't mean you have to drink all of the time. There are plenty of other things to do to occupy your time. For example, watching "Family Feud" on the Game Show Network until the wee hours of the morning with people from your floor.

Do invest in a really warm winter jacket. The summers in Central Illinois are tough, but the winters will, if you live in Watterson especially, kick you in your butt and make you wish you had worn a pillow as pants. The grounds are slippery, the wind is brutally cold and everyone will look like Kenny from "South Park" by the time January rolls around.

Do love and treasure your flex dollars. Someday, you may not have a meal plan anymore, meaning that you may not have flex anymore. Flex dollars are your absolute best friend, especially when you have to study for an exam all night and Einstein's is just at the bottom of the stairs. Seriously, I miss those so much, so love them while you can.

Do not underestimate the ISU police. If you are at a parking meter and your meter just ran out, you will have a ticket, you will not be happy and neither will your bank account.

Do go to the athletic events. This doesn't mean that you should go to all of them, but do go to some of them because the games are a great place to meet people, support your school and watch a giant redbird dance around the field/arena.

Do not think that you will stay in the major you came in with. I have heard many stories from friends who have switched their major multiple times or maybe just once. Switching your major is OK, and it's also normal.

With this being said, do get to know people in your major. You may discover some of the best friends that you never knew you had.

Do jump at every opportunity to get involved. Whether that be through an RSO (registered student organization), a sorority/fraternity or within the university, there are plenty of ways to get involved at ISU, so there is no excuse why you shouldn't.

Don't sit inside every night wondering what everybody else is doing. Put yourself out there and go try something new. While school is the reason you are here and it is very important, you have to remember to have fun. You've probably heard this before; I have heard it a thousand times before, but college will be the best years you will ever have. So soak them up like the adorable freshman sponge that you are.

Lastly, do relish in every moment you have at Illinois State. Your time here will pass by faster than you think. If I could stay here for another four years, I would. But the real world calls (boo) and when one Redbird leaves the nest, a new Redbird flies in.

Sincerely,

An emotional senior who wishes you the very best