Red Pill, Blue Pill

Red Pill, Blue Pill

“The Red Pill”, A Documentary Directed By Cassie Jaye
29

Recently, I discovered a documentary called “The Red Pill” on Hulu. I was searching for something new to watch, when I stumbled upon it. I love a good documentary, and when I read the synopsis, I found I was really interested in the topic. It follows Cassie Jaye, a known Documentarian and feminist, on her 3 month search for more inside information on the Men’s Rights Movement. She talks to multiple Feminists and Men’s rights Leaders, trying to make sense of both sides and why they are so divided.

I am not a “Honey Badger”, or a term for women who are in full support of the MRM. I am not really a feminist (although some tell me differently). If any label, because they are inevitable, from a young age I have always identified with being an Egalitarian, which seems neutral enough. By personal and most basic definition, I am interested in equality for everyone, but equity relatively factors into my beliefs as well. I am an English and Gender Studies Major, so I have a bit of a background in analyzing literature and Documentaries that fall into Gender Studies categories, like gender norms in society, among many other topics.

I am not an expert, but I am educated and aware.

There are multiple things about this film that make it a must see. For one, it has gotten many sparkling reviews, but when it was first set to premiere, the funding mysteriously dried up, as feminist interviewees were infuriated that a “hate group” was given a platform to speak and withdrew their support. Many free speech activists, whether particularly interested in the Men’s Right Movement or not, raised over a hundred thousand dollars to premiere it, and avoided censorship. The viewers are taken with Cassie through a series of interviews and personal videos as she reaches out to these men, and even women, that have sided with the MRM, without excluding her Feminists roots.

One argument presented from the MRM is how men are expendable in the eyes of history. We send men to war, we don’t usually spare their feelings, and they are expected to provide body and soul for their families as the bread winner. I wrote an article a while back called Hegemonic Masculinity: The Root of Inequality which explains my theory more on how gender socialization has impacted society as a whole.

My final critiques: I appreciate the immersion, how Cassie experiences the information with us. I wish that there was more interview varieties, and more male Feminists as well as more moderate Feminists. Whether anyone agrees with the actual content, it is left open-ended so that one may have room for their own thoughts. It’s important to keep an open mind when watching this documentary because it isn’t introducing a correct answer, just showing some arguable “truths”.

Like, things are not always black or white.

Please watch it and let me know; what do you think?