Recovering From A Breaking Point

Recovering From A Breaking Point

An outline of how to come back from rock bottom and continue on.

46
Recovering From A Breaking Point
Jason Allender

Have you ever been so far gone that the only choice you have is to rise up? There is a common theme with most of my articles and two weeks ago I hinted at the "Come to Jesus Moment." And it sounds goofy it probably does. But in times of failure and demise one hits rock bottom and it is in this moment that you can't do any worse. Rock bottom is the point at which one is so low that the only thing that they could possibly do is to recover. To get up, to breathe, to say, "I want to start over." That last ditch effort to survive is known as a Come to Jesus Moment.

The time finally comes it's when you least expect it. It is in the darkest moment that the brightest lights shine. But how does one get up from being broken? How do you stand up after giving up?

You must first realize that you aren't dead. If you are still breathing then you are still alive. If you are still alive that is the first reason to get up. You may even find yourself repeating, "I am still alive." If this is what helps you wake up, keep on doing it then.

It's okay to admit failure. If you pretend that you didn't break down it will only put you in denial. No one will scold you for admitting that you were broken. In reality, it takes extreme bravery to openly say, "I failed." This is just the beginning of changing, of healing.

Once in college I had been so broken and I knew I wanted to change. I didn't want to lay in bed aimlessly all day anymore. It was a strange thing to do, but I started walking. I would walk around campus and fill my mind with fresh thoughts. I would stop to sit on a bench and maybe take a picture of the nature. In order to change you must step out of the zone. You have to go out and experience again. In depression and isolation we lose contact with out friends, the people who will have our backs. To fill your life with happiness again you must laugh. Friends will make you laugh until it hurts.

Coming back from a breaking point is a courageous event in one's life. An event that should be remembered. Through personal experience I found that a way to come to terms and heal at the same time is to write a letter to your younger self. It probably sounds weird but there is something so satisfying about writing a letter and telling yourself you made it, you survived. Life isn't a game but sometimes it's like being stuck in a gladiator arena. You have giants around you coming at all angles, bystanders yelling their opinions, and the only way out is to fight.

Life is going to throw curveballs, it's not perfect. You will fall, sometimes you will stay down. Other times you will stand up and move on. You should never be ashamed for getting not knocked down. It's a part of human life. Since birth we get knocked up. Our earliest lessons involve falling down and having no choice but to get up. I order for us to learn to walk, in the most cliche way, we must fall down.

My favorite quote comes from Friedrich Nietzsche, "You must be ready to burn yourself in your own flame; how could you rise anew if you have not first become ashes?"

The trick to coming back from a breaking point to the fight for survival. You fought when you realized you wanted help, you fought to get up, now fight for yourself.