What is the cousin bond like?

Reconnecting With My Cousins After Eight Years Apart

Bonds between family are always strong.

86

I was nearing the end of my final semester of community college, working on my project for design class when I saw my phone light up with a series of messages. I immediately dropped what I was doing to browse through my notifications. After answering texts and snaps, I went to check Instagram and found a message from one of my cousins. She began the conversation by asking about school and work. Just a few minutes later, we got on the topic of planning a visit in the near future.

She said that she and her brother missed us and that they were hoping to come down from Pennsylvania in the next month or two to spend time with us. Her dad wouldn't be able to make it due to scheduling conflicts at work. I was overjoyed that I had just organized a visit with cousins I hadn't seen in eight years, but I had yet to tell my parents. I knew they'd be surprised so I waited until it was confirmed and broke the news to them. Although my dad was a bit sad that his brother couldn't make it, he was happy that his niece and nephew were taking time out of their lives to spend with family.

After their eleven hour drive, they arrived at our doorstep. While there were awkward pauses at first, it was clear we were one and the same and would get along just fine. We went out to dinner as a family and started to get to know them a bit better. They ended up staying for a long weekend, so we entertained them with places in the area. After three action-packed days of shopping, eating, and bonding, it was time for them to go back home.

They didn't want to leave and we didn't want them to either. It was like we had known them their whole life. Almost as if they had grown up with us. It felt natural to joke around and do silly things you wouldn't do in front of most. We all felt close to them and regretted not seeing each other sooner. I can't describe every moment or a memory we made because there were lots of them. All I can say is that I don't want to lose touch again because we need them in our lives.