An Ode To Recess: How We Knew It Vs. What It Is Today
Life Stages

Kids are trading in their cootie catchers for smartphones. What is the world coming to?

513

For millennials, recess was a time for running around outside, playing made-up games and organizing foursquare competitions. It was a time to take a break from all the listening, learning and hand-raising and just be kids for 30 minutes.

Whether we were doing flips on the jungle gym, playing an intense game of Red Rover or dominating on the kickball field, we were getting our sweat on and having fun with our classmates.

Today, the story isn't so similar.

Recess has changed.

Unfortunately, '90s kids had a recess experience that was totally different from what today's children know. Here are three ways recess has changed from the half hour of games, cootie catchers, relationship drama and jumping rope we all remember.

1. Kids are spending more recess time on their phones

As you could imagine, the use of smartphones and other electronics is an issue many schools struggle with. Some schools allow students to use their phones during recess or lunch as a way to prevent them from doing so during their classes. Other schools completely ban phones for the entire school day.

For the institutions that allow students to use their phones during recess, it can be difficult for shy students to come out of their shells. They may decide to sit in the corner on their phones instead of asking to jump into a game of tag or basketball.

A worse result would be that no one takes the time to play and exercise at all and instead chooses to get updated on the social media posts they missed that day.

2. Recess time is getting shorter and shorter

Recess is getting shorter, too — 40% of school districts in the country have reduced their recess time, and nearly 7% have eliminated it. That's right — some students never get a chance to take a break during the day, aside from lunch.

This could be for several reasons, including budget cuts, punishment for poor behavior or the misled belief that it's a waste of time.

Having a shorter recess — or no recess at all — could be an explanation for the increase in childhood obesity in the U.S., as well. The most recent data shows the rate of childhood obesity in the nation is around 18.5%, with 14 percent of kids already being considered obese before they get to kindergarten.

Could we combat this issue by allowing students 30 minutes a day to run around and play like we did in the '90s?

3. Bullying may be getting worse

Bullying certainly isn't anything new, but we are seeing it begin at younger ages than we have in past decades. Part of this is because children are constantly exposed to TV and other forms of media that portray bullying.

Even if the media displays it as something kids shouldn't do, in a way that's exposing them to it just as much as watching a how-to video.

In general, kids deal with three types of bullying: verbal, physical and social. With the growing prevalence of cyberbullying, that could be added to the list, too.

Many of today's students face bullying from several additional angles — both on the playground and at home — unlike millennial kids.

Can we bring recess back?

Many of you may be wondering how we can bring back the true recess we all know and love, so our own kids can experience the joy of winning tetherball after a competition.

This may be easier said than done. So much has changed since then, and children are simply interested in different things.

However, if we can stress to our kids the importance of play and exercise before they get to school, we can hope they carry those lessons with them and use their free time during the day wisely — not by scrolling on their phones or being bullies of any kind.