A Recap Of 2015

It’s the end of another year, and within the last 365 days so much has happened. So here is a recap of some of the most memorable moments and the most important events that may last throughout history from each month this year.

January 2015

The terrorist attacks on the satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo in Paris occurred on January 7. Al Qaeda claimed responsibility for the attacks in which 17 people were killed. At the time it was the worst attack on France since World War II, and as such many world leaders, including Barack Obama, declared support for France.

February 2015

The novel turned film adaptation "Fifty Shades of Grey" hit theaters on Friday, February 13. The hype surrounding the controversial film fell on deaf ears as critics and moviegoers alike found the film lacking in substance but filled to the brim with misogyny.

March 2015

A total solar eclipse occurred in Svalbard, Norway. Such complete eclipses only occur after several centuries, making the one in March a special, once-in-a-lifetime occurrence.

April 2015

Iran agreed to the nuclear deal with the United States on April 2. The framework of the deal consisted of Iran scaling back their stockpile and then the U.S. and the EU would lift some of the sanctions they had put upon them. However, while they agreed on the framework, an official deal has not yet been signed.

May 2015

The Duchess of Cambridge, Kate Middleton, wife of Prince William, gave birth to their second child, daughter Princess Charlotte of Cambridge. Princess Charlotte is now fourth in line to succeed Queen Elizabeth I for the throne of the monarchy of the United Kingdom.

June 2015

The supreme court voted to legalize same-sex marriage in the United States. The ruling made banning same-sex marriage in any state in the U.S. unconstitutional, a win for the civil rights movements.

July 2015

Cuba and the United States restored full diplomatic relations between the nations, opening their embassies along with re-establishing trade relations for the first time since 1961.

August 2015

A state of emergency was declared in Ferguson, Missouri as protests lead to gunfire on the anniversary of the death of black teenager Michael Brown by a Ferguson police officer.

September 2015

During Eid al-Adha in Saudi Arabia hundreds of people were killed due to a stampede during the holy Islamic pilgrimage to Mecca.

October 2015

After 35 years, the Republic of China ended the one-child policy on October 29. Now all married couples will be allowed to have two children in a move that will hopefully offset their aging population.

November 2015

On November 13, the worst terrorist attack to happen in France occurred in Paris. The three attacks on the city, coordinated by ISIS militants, killed over one hundred people and injured many others. The attacks on France caused the world to stand together in solidarity against ISIS as well as in mourning for all who were lost to ISIS militants this year.

December 2015

A terrorist attack occurred in San Bernadino California on December 2. The mass shooting took place at a health center after a couple who worked for the center became radicalized by ISIS.

Sadly, many of the most impactful events that occurred this year resulted in mourning and devastation. We can only hope for a more peaceful 2016 and look back over the year, learning from the events of the past and going into 2016 ready to impact our own kind of change, change for peace and change for the greater good.