Six Reasons I Wouldn’t Trade My Big Family For Yours

"Hey, wanna go to the mall and get — are you wearing MY socks?"

22
Sarah Welch

I have two parents, a dog, and six siblings. That’s nine and a half people. Honestly, that doesn’t seem like a very big family to me, but that’s probably because I’m so used to it.

We all know that living with people — any people — has its up and downs. The more people you put together in the same house, the more potential there is for something to go wrong. We break stuff, steal clothes, invade personal space, mess up schedules, and misunderstand each other nonstop. Sometimes I just want to crawl away into the woods and live in a cave by myself for the rest of my life. But for all the awkward, sad, and confusing moments that come with being a part of a big family, there are hundreds of amazing things I’ve learned and experienced with the eight people I’m apparently stuck with. Here are just a few of the reasons I’d do it all over again in less than a heartbeat:

1. You can watch your siblings learn to love the same things you did.

My youngest brother is eight years old and recently read "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" in two days. A few months ago I caught one of my sisters shedding tears over a book I’d cried over the first (and second, and third) time I read it. Every now and then I find my brother listening to a song I recommended and enjoying it. Most of my siblings have asked me to teach them how to make friendship bracelets at some point. Watching my brothers and sisters developing the same loves I have is a great feeling.

2. The lessons in humility start on day one.

Living with six other kids (and two adults) who know all your flaws and have no reservations about pointing them out is, well, humbling. You learn to laugh at yourself pretty quickly. And you realize that while there are lines no one should cross, everyone needs a healthy dose of teasing now and then.

3. Your wardrobe is automatically multiplied.

I’m not even sure that my sister and mom and I know which clothes technically belong to whom anymore. I remember buying these shoes a few months ago, but I have no idea whose pants I’m wearing…

4. Together, you know everything about everything.

I know very little about guitar chords, but I don’t have to because my brother is an expert. Likewise, he might not even recognize the name “Tennyson,” but that’s OK because I can fill him in if he ever needs it. And when both of us are at a loss trying to understand international politics, my dad is always more than willing to give us the nutshell version.

5. There’s never an excuse to say “I’m bored.”

With so many people living in one house, there’s always drama happening. On a slow day, just sit in the kitchen for half an hour and you’ll hear all the latest gossip — who singlehandedly caused your 13-year-old brother’s team to lose their soccer game yesterday, which guy your teenage sister is into now, who has the cutest swimsuit in your youngest sister’s circle, how long it’s been since that girl texted your brother last. Don’t have anything to do? Round up a few siblings for a pick-up soccer game, ask your mom for a book recommendation, invite your brothers to an impromptu jam session, stuff your sisters in the car and hit the mall. There is never a moment in which no one wants to do anything fun.