10 Reasons Everyone Needs To Respect Their Mental Health

3. Your hygiene

624
Author's photo

Mental health has and always will be important. However, some people feel that mental health is not as important as other illnesses and disabilities. Having poor mental health can cause so many problems for a patient mentally and physically. The point of this article to help others see that mental health is not something we can just "brush away". It is real. It is a diagnosis. It can be harmful. Here are ten reasons on why mental health is important.

1. For emotional well-being

When I say emotional well-being I mean how you feel on the inside. Mental health disorders normally cause its suffers to feel low, angry, or disturbed on the inside. When you have a mental health disorder you need to make sure that you take time to relax. Take time to do things you like to do. Your emotional health is one key to becoming better.

2. For relationships

I know with my Borderline Personality Disorder I have a hard time maintaining relationships. I get angry at my loved ones. Small things they say make me sad. Sometimes I even push them away for no reason. It is important for me to take my medication and go talk to my therapist. Me making sure my mental health is okay first helps my relationships be healthier.

3. For hygiene

When I become depressed my hygiene isn't its best. I don't feel like brushing my hair, taking a shower, or even change my clothes. Making sure I am mentally okay and relaxed helps me make sure my hygiene is at its best.

4. For education

School is one of my biggest stresses. I worry about tests and grades and assignments all the time. I know that I have to have a mental way to relax and coach myself through my work. Making sure my Mental health is okay means I can focus better on making good grades and reaching my goals.

5. For your job

We all have those days where we don't want to go to work. With my BPD, when I am in an episode my job is the last thing on my mind. Yes, I watch the kids and do what I need to do but, I am not giving it my all. In order for me to give one hundred percent I need to make sure I am taking care of me as well.

6. For your physical health

Different things can happen when a person has a mental disorder. One thing is they could starve themselves. Another patient could be a stress eater and is over weight. Making sure you are taking your medication and talking to whoever you need to or even taking as many measures as you have to. To be physically healthy you need to be mentally healthy.

7. For a happy life

Happiness. Who doesn't want to be happy? We have to find what makes us happy and comfortable. Making sure you are mentally healthy will also lead to you being happy.

8. For your social life

Being able to be social means you need to be able to accept you. You need to fill your life with good people and people who support you. Making sure you are in healthy friendships will help your mental health.

9. To avoid a life of crime

People with mental disorders have a history of crime. Making sure you are taking care of yourself and trying to stay on a good path means you can avoid crime. Staying out of trouble will lead to a healthier life and more success.

10. For yourself

The biggest person I try to be happy for now is myself. My happiness, health, and all around life are important to me. In order for me to be successful and confident in life I need to make sure I am mentally healthy. My mental health is important.