8 reasons why you should adopt your next pet

Eight Reasons to Rescue your next furry family member

Adopting may just be the best thing you ever do.

40
Original Photo by Mariah Lenz

All my life, I have loved saving animals. When I was five, I made my parents take in a stray cat (who ended up being pregnant and having seven kittens), which is how I got my very first pet. I would save anything that I could, from countless stray cats to baby birds, or even turtles crossing the road. I have found rescuing animals to be so rewarding, and here are just a few reasons why:

1. You're saving a life.

What's more rewarding than bringing home an animal that needs one?

Approximately 6.5 million animals enter US animal shelters every year, and, of those, an estimated 1.5 million are euthanized. Luckily, we can change those numbers by choosing to adopt our next furry friend or family member.

2. They teach you patience.

When we first adopted Delilah, I remember getting really frustrated because she had not yet learned her boundaries and what was expected of her. With some extra love and a lot of patience, she quickly learned what to do and what not to do. Sometimes rescues are shy and require more time, attention and patience. But nothing is more rewarding than when your new buddy has learned to trust you and rewards you with endless love and cuddles.

3. You can grow together.

Delilah and I about a year after her adoption.

Original Photo by Mariah Lenz

It's crazy to see how much Delilah and I have grown together. I know her personality well, just as she knows mine. She knows when I'm angry, sad, scared and she does anything in her power to cheer me up. She even knows the sound of my fiancé's truck and, every time she hears it, her ears perk up and her tail wags furiously. One of the best parts about adopting is watching your new friend grow in happiness and confidence, and of course, growing with them.

4. There are so many animals waiting for their forever home.

Go ahead, just take a friendly stroll around your local shelter, I bet you'll meet someone you love.

Again, with nearly 6.5 million animals waiting for new homes each year, there are so many different personalities to choose from, and I'm positive you will be able to find the right furry friend for you, or you and your family.

5. You know what you are getting.

Looking for a cuddle bug? No problem!

If you read any biography on petfinder, you can find out anything and everything about the animals you're looking to adopt. On most biographies, age, breed, sex and personality are all listed. As well as if that particular animal has special needs, gets along with other cats and dogs or need a home without small children. A good amount of animals up for adoption are in foster care before they are allowed to go home with a family. This ensures that the pet has good behavior and is well-mannered before going to its new home.

6. They're just as good as any purebred.

Just look at that face.

Original Photo by Mariah Lenz

Any kind of rescue animal is hardy; look at the life they lived before going to a shelter. Yes, they may be more prone to diseases while they are on the streets, but, with proper vaccination and care, most, if not all, of those diseases they were predisposed to will be taken care of. Some even say that mutts are less prone to genetic diseases than purebreds.

7. They’re grateful.

Why wouldn't they be?

Have you seen videos of dogs being so overjoyed once they're adopted that they start crying? If not, you should probably watch them and have a box of tissues handy. By adopting, you are providing an animal with warmth, love and compassion that some may have never felt before.

8. They rescue you.

My favorite adventure buddy.

Original Photo by Mariah Lenz

It's proven that animals are beneficial for mental and physical wellbeing. My life improved greatly after rescuing my pets, and I know yours will too.

My family would not be complete without Delilah.

Original Photo by Mariah Lenz

If you're weary about adopting, another way you can help shelter animals is by fostering them. Most shelters have a fostering program where they provide everything you need. In return you, take care of the animal in your home and bring it to any appointments it may have. Fostering is basically like having an animal for (mostly) free, and how cool is that?

If it's time for you to add a new furry member to the family, I would highly encourage you to visit your local shelter. I promise you won't regret it!