6 Reasons You Must Watch 'The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel'

"If women don't realize what's going on in the world, they won't step in and fix it." -Midge Maisel

22

One may have heard of the show "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel," especially during the last award season, as it won many high awards in television. When I finally gave it a try I automatically fell in love with the charming characters, interesting and original plot, beautiful costumes and honestly the whole show.

It's funny, interesting, and is full of beautiful clothing from the time. It also gives watchers a look into New York City and the club life of the time. I'd recommend to anyone to watch this show and enjoy the beauty of "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel."

1. The show and Mrs. Maisel makes you laugh

I mean it's a show on a woman and her journey to become a stand-up comedian, but one can never be too sure. This show has plenty of laughs, whether it's from the seriousness of Abe, the banter between Midge and Suzie, or Midge's stand up routines. There's a different kind of comedy present for everyone, making plenty of laughs throughout the two seasons.

2. The awards are numerous for the show and cast

This show swept the award season last year and has promising reviews for this coming award season. Last year it was nominated for 13 Primetime Emmy Awards and out of them won a whopping 8 awards. The show was also Nominated for the Screen Actors Guild Awards (SAG) for the first season and won a Peabody Award and two Golden Globes. For the second season, it continued to achieve nominations by picking up 3 nominations for the Golden Globes with more nominations looking likely.

3. Midge doesn't put up with the sexism present, especially at the time

When one thinks of the 1950s, it easy to think of the stereotypical housewife. Midge is this wife, yet so much more. She is a woman of the time, yet speaks out about things she believes in and doesn't let people take advantage of her. Even when people think they are getting the better of her, she never lets it keep her down and make her feel less. When her husband left her and some blamed her, she stood up for herself and pointed out that just because she was a woman it was not her fault and she shouldn't get the blame. Midge also points out the disadvantages of women and how they are given to women by men to keep them less successful and pushes for successful, thriving, and slightly nontraditional women to be the norm.

4. She shows you can have hard times and still rise to the top

Being a woman in the 1950's already sets you up to have fewer advantages than most. Given this, Midge doesn't let this keep her down. When her husband leaves her she has a bit of a meltdown, but rises back up and takes care of herself by getting a job. Later, when she hits problems and barriers in her comedic road she may show discourage for a bit, but then proceeds by pushing through and showing everyone just how great she is, giving them hell for ever doubting her.

5. MISS UNGERMEYER

When I saw Suzie pop up in the show, the inner "Lizzie McGuire" loving child in me freaked out. Miss Ungermeyer is a staple of my childhood considering I watched the "Lizzie McGuire" movie 50 million times as a kid. Once I got over my internal freak-out and started to see more of the character, I realized just how different this character is. Gone is that Disney chaperone and instead is a foul-mouthed, determined, and hysterical woman who becomes Midges right-hand woman and manager on her road of stand up.

6. The families, though in the 50's are really relatable

Every family has their quirks, problems, and dynamics. This family is no different from others in that respect. They may be from the '50s, but they still each have their parts, issues, and personalities. They also show many sides that many can relate to, such as having less than enthused parents about a career, to having parents have the slight favorite child, to feeling like they just aren't quite ever on your side. Yet even with these feelings and problems they still stick together and have each others' back through it all, which is what family is.