dachshunds are the best dog breed

15 Reasons Everyone Should Own a Dachshund

Hot dogs, and sausage dogs, and wieners....oh my!

134
Photo by Vitor Fontes on Unsplash

Dachshunds, also know as sausage dogs, wiener dogs, doxies and hot dogs are quite literally the best dog breed. Because of their many different personality traits, sizes, colors, and coats, there is a dachshund for pretty much every type of person. As a loving and proud dachshund owner, I've got 15 reasons why everyone should own a dachshund.

1. They're the best cuddlers around.

Brier Mason

Dachshunds are hands down the best cuddlers. Because they have a background of hunting badgers and animals that live in small holes, they are natural born cuddlers that like to burrow under anything and everything. Including, but not limited to your loving arms. Dachshunds love to cuddle between pillows, your legs, under your arms, under blankets, and even like to act as a scarf and cuddle around your neck and under your chin.

2. They're loyal companions.

Instagram

Wiener dogs are know to be to be very loyal to their owners. There are certain instances where dachshunds have saved the lives of their owners when they were in danger. Because dachshunds are so loyal, they are able to pick up on their owners fears, and emotions and cater to the owners needs.

3. They may be little, but they are brave.

Instagram

Although dachshunds maybe be under 30 pounds and have short, stocky legs, they are known for their brave personality! Dachshunds don't see size, they see every dog breed as their equal. They are the leaders of the pack when they are around bigger dogs. When in a group of other dogs of different breeds and sizes, they do their best to keep up with the best of them. They are never considered the underdog.

4. There's a wiener for everyone.

Instagram

Because there are many different types of dachshunds, that means there is a type for everyone! Dachshunds have 3 different coat types such as, long haired, smooth haired, or wire haired. Long haired dachshunds are said to be a cross with a spaniel. Their hair can grow straight or wavy and tend to be longest around their ears, neck, legs and their cute little bums. Smooth haired dachshunds are they sausage dogs that most people are familiar with. Their hair is short and soft. Wired hair dachshunds are rumored to be mixed with a terrier and have a more rough and wirey coat. The fun doesn't stop there, dachshunds also come in two different sizes, miniature and standard. Miniature dachshunds can grow up to 15 pounds while standard can weigh anywhere from 16-30.

5. They're perfect with children.

Instagram

Many of us plan on having children one day and have heard those horror stories of how some dogs act out when a baby is brought into their environment. When it comes time to plan a family, that shouldn't' be a fear for any dachshund owner. Wiener dogs are known for their ability to be playful and loving to new babies as well as children. Because dachshunds are so loving and playful, they're finally excited to be able to play with someone their own size!

6. They require little to no grooming.

Instagram

Aside from the occasional nail clippings, long haired, wire haired and smooth coat dachshunds all require little to no grooming. Not only does this save you extra time to snuggle with your dachshund, it also saves you money. Dog grooming isn't cheap, but it's also something every dachshund owner doesn't have to worry about!

7.Weenie Races.

Instagram

Two words: Weenie races. Guys, if this doesn't make you google search your nearest dachshund rescue or breeder, I'm not sure what will. A weenie race is an event held in many different cities across the country where owners are allowed to bounce a ball in the direction of the finish line, and whichever weenie gets to the finish line first wins the grand prize. Not only are these races just for fun, but most of them are all day events dedicated to the dachshund breed where attendees have the opportunity to adopt a dachshund and the dogs are usually racing to raise money for local dachshund rescues.

8. They're pretty trendy pups.

Instagram

Lets face it, it is hard to go into a gift shop or home good store without seeing some kind of dachshund merchandise. If you're planning on owning a dachshund, make room for all the wiener dog themed gifts you'll receive. As a dachshund owner, I have received dachshund wrapping paper, stationary, socks, pajamas, wine glasses, hand towels, and even a dachshund soap holder.

9. They have a perfect amount of energy.

Instagram

Doxies are popular for having perfect energy levels. Even though dachshunds have reputations of being energetic dogs, they still have short legs and small lungs that tire out before their owners. Because of this, Doxie owners don't typically feel the guilt that other dog owners feel for not exercising their dog enough. Not only that, Doxie owners don't have trouble keeping up with their pet, which makes dachshunds the perfect breed for all ages, including the elderly.

10. They have a long life span.

Brier Mason

Expect your dachshund to be around to witness a lot of life's ups and downs with you. They have a long life span of 12-16 years. For me, this means that my one year old dachshund will be around to grow with me and watch me graduate, get married, have children, and still have some years on him to grow up with my children. Because of this long life span, dachshunds are considered to be a perfect family dog.

11. They Have Big Ears.

Brier Mason

All animals with big ears are considered adorable. Elephants, bush babies, rabbits, and dachshunds. Because dachshunds belong to the hound family, they are know for their big, floppy ears, which makes them the absolute cutest dog breed.

12. They're Similar to Cats.

Instagram

If you're a cat lover, you're going to love this one. Dachshunds tend to have very similar personality traits to cats: loyal, independent, and have perfect energy levels. When you're away from home, your dachshund is either sleeping or finding a way to entertain themselves just like a cat would.

13. They're easy to train.

Instagram

Because doxies are so loyal to their owners, they are also one of the easiest dog breeds to train. They do not like to anger or upset their owners in an way, shape, or form so they tend to be good listeners and quick learners.

14. They're not shy.

Instagram

Shy will never be an adjective used to describe your dachshund. They love attention of any kind, especially from strangers. Dachshunds know that if a stranger is near, that is their opportunity to get extra attention and love. Most dachshunds use such attention grabbing tactics as rolling on their back in front of your feet so you'll scratch their belly, flipping their ears back and looking at you with their irresistible puppy eyes, the head tilt, or the "kiss you all over your face" tactic that is used by the most outgoing dachshunds.

15. They mesh well with other pups.

Brier Mason

If dachshunds are socialized and treated right, they are known to not only be their owners best friend, but also a dogs best friend. Because of their outgoing, friendly, and brave personalities, dachshunds are always looking for new friends to play with and prove their size to.