Five Reasons Students Are Always Exhausted

I know you are so busy, please you sleepy student, remember you deserve that nap.

16
Odyssey

We have all heard of the infamous “life of a teenager” triangle. It has three points, where in reality students only have time for two -- strong academics, social life, or a full night's sleep. Let's be real, students are choosing academics and social life. But why are students getting no sleep? And why are they exhausted 24/7?

1. The ridiculous amount of work outside of class...

Our professors expect so much out of us. Besides going to class everyday, students are also expected to do practice worksheets, quizzes, study for exams, write term papers and complete semester long projects all in our free time. How are students supposed take a nap during the day?

2. The credit hours.

Now stay with me —if you are taking an average of 15 or 16 credit hours and attending all of your classes you should be in the classroom anywhere from 12 to 13 hours a week. It is said that students should spend three hours studying for one hour they are in class (39 extra hours!) It is also said that people should be getting eight hours of sleep for their body to be well rested and able to function each day! 13 hours of class + 39 hours of studying + 40 hours of sleep = 92 hours. There are 120 hours between Monday and Friday. 120 total hours minus 92 hours of school and sleep gives a total of 28 hours left. What if you have an extra project you have to work on, or a movie night at a friends? I don’t know about you but I’m going to have major FOMO (fear of missing out) if I don’t participate. Looks like those eight hours of solid sleep each night are getting cut.

3. What about your social life?

Your friends are awesome and they asked you to hang out. Us students, being the social butterflies that we are, just can’t say no. Whether it’s Mug Night or time for you and your pals to watch this week’s newest episode, you probably aren’t getting to bed on time. You could pass up on those study hours, but you just can’t afford to fail chemistry this semester.

4. Coffee is expensive and we are broke!

Sure, coffee keeps the everyday human alive, but that’s only if you can afford it. Hello did you read the second point? With only 28 hours left in our insane schedule how are you supposed to have a job to make money? I can’t afford a $4 coffee from the cafe down the road, let alone a box of Keurig cups and creamer. No coffee = need nap ASAP.

5. Don't forget your extra curricular activities!

You need time to do things you enjoy in life. Watching Netflix, playing intramural sports, or going the the gym are just a few examples. Maybe you want to join a club or go to the basketball game! You also need some time for resume builders like that executive position you have in your business club, or a committee meeting for the sorority or fraternity event you said you’d help plan. Lets not forget about working, volunteer hours and extra workshops to help you find that internship. Sounds exhausting, doesn’t it?

Out of that “life of a teenager” triangle, I’m sure we are all choosing less sleep for more social time and better academics. Sometimes enjoying and succeeding in life’s responsibilities seems more important then that extra hour of sleep. I know you are so busy, but please you sleepy student, remember you deserve that nap.