5 Reasons Why You Should Start Your Own Blog

Tips on how to start your own blog and why it's worth your time.

7

I started my blog back in 2017 when I was 16-years-old. Before that, I always thought that blogging was only for people who were already popular on social media. But that is absolutely not true! Anyone can start their own blog and I highly recommend it. It can be a great tool within your life for many, many reasons. Here are five reasons why you should start your own blog.

1. It's a good way to get your thoughts out into the big world.

Photo by Unsplash

Writing in a blog is a great way to get all of your thoughts out into the world. You can write about whatever is important to you and you can use it to change the world by inspiring others with your words and ideas. It can also be used as an outlet for your creative mind or for how you are feeling about anything. You can craft your blog to represent whatever you strongly believe in.

2. It creates a sense of community.

Photo by Unsplash

Blogging can help you can gain a sense of community. Since I have started writing, I have met many other bloggers my age that I can discuss new ideas with. Also, I have the ability to discover other blogs that are similar to mine. By reading other bloggers' posts and asking questions, I can better improve my own blog by learning more about how to structure my posts and looking at the way others organize their content.

3. Designing a website is fun!

Photo by Unsplash

Designing a website is incredibly fun because you get to be as creative as you want! You get to pick what themes you like, the fonts, the content, a brand for yourself, and so much more. For me personally, it is such a great creative outlet and is something that truly fulfills me. Nothing is better than looking back at something you've created and truly loving the way that it looks!

4. Your content, your rules.

Photo by Unsplash

Nobody can tell you how to format your content. It is something that is created by you and you are the only one who has the power in declaring that your content has worth. You can make your posts look however you would like and you can choose to reach whatever type of audience you want. Nothing has rules. It is a free space for you to run wild and create!

5. It's easier than you may think. (Anyone can do it!)

Photo by Unsplash

If I could do it at the age of sixteen, being as non-tech savvy as I am, anyone can do it. It is easy to find a platform to host your blog. And the good news is, multiple platforms offer a free option that allows you to upgrade if you feel like that is the right step for your blog. Also, a lot of platforms have pre-made themes so you don't have to spend time creating every aspect from scratch. This is very helpful, especially for new bloggers.

You may be asking yourself, "How do I actually start a blog, though?" As I said, there are many different platforms available. Currently, I am using WordPress.com, but I have heard many great things from companies such as Squarespace.com and Weebly.com. All of these platforms offer some sort of free version for creating a blog. With any of these, you can begin the first steps of creating a blog that portrays who you are perfectly.

If you would like to check out my personal blog to see what it's like, you can view it here. Currently, I am in the process of re-branding, so I hope you enjoy the process!