Why Men Should Participate In No Shave November
Lifestyles

No Shave November: Why Guys Should Participate This Year (And Every Year, For That Matter)

There is literally a Science to this method.

536

So it's back: "No Shave November." It happens every year right on time for the beginnings of "cuddle season" where single millennials start to find a cuddle buddy, lover, or even a new serious thing before the holidays come and parents ask what you're doing with your love life. It never fails when you go home as it is one of the many questions that arise amongst the others about school and how college is actually going for you. So here's an awesome piece of advice fellas: GROW. OUT. YOUR. BEARD.

Now "No Shave November" at one time seemed like a tacky past time that just happened every year to just say, "Screw it, I'm not shaving my face, now I'll be lazy." Here is the thing fellas: you might not want to stop and shave it off at the end of the month. I've got a few reasons why this might need to be thought about that you really should take into consideration.

Guys here's a huge secret: women love beards. No really, when I mean they love beards, I mean they dig beards. There is an actual science to this attraction. As a bearded guy myself, I've experienced some extra attention as of late with my three-week-old scruff and I gotta say, it's a little flattering. Trust me, this is real and scientists have literally backed me up on this.

So now you're wondering, "Ty, what the heck are you talking about? Science is actually involved in attraction to beards?!" Yes, fellas, science has our backs. In an article written by Dr. Jeremy Nelson aka "The Attraction Doctor" in Psychology Today, he said a study just a little over ten years ago by Neave and Shields was conducted to study the effects of facial hair on women's perceptions of men's attractiveness, masculinity, and dominance.

In the study, women were asked to rate the attractiveness of men with various forms of facial hair including clean shaven men. Some of the categories in the study that were included in the ratings were masculinity, aggression, attractiveness, and social maturity. Also included was the question of the length of romance they could see in the partner with each variation of the man face-fur.

Here we go guys: the revelation revealed. Out of the pictures presented at that time, men with light stubble were found most attractive and also the most dominant. However, men with full-on beards were considered more masculine, aggressive, and mature. Ladies also felt and perceived the men with full on beards as looking older. So if there's a woman you know who likes older men, you might wanna go look in that mirror jefe and check to see if those whiskers are growing in.

"But, Ty, that's only one study." Yeah, but there have been several more conducted on the same subject matter. Dixon and Brooks conducted a study in 2013 on the same thing and women considered men with full on beards more attractive fathers, life partners, and were considered as healthier. So basically chicks want something real with a guy sporting a Paul Bunyan. Women also found men with thicker beards as more masculine. Men were also studied in this particular research gathering and they too found more facial hair more masculine.

"But, Ty, I'm not looking for something serious, just someone to cuddle with." Good news friend, as long as you got around intermediate stubble on that charming chin of yours, you have a good chance of spending the night and I don't mean making couch forts. If you're interested in getting lucky, well you, my friend, are in luck. Women consider men with intermediate stubble ideal sex partners. However, the men with full-fledged beards are considered ideal mates and potential for playing the role of a father. There are some r-rated whispers (from the app) out there that show serious appreciation women have for beards. It's everywhere guys.

There have been newer studies conducted. One study was literally done this year and even then short stubble was considered the most attractive on a man. So basically having a decent amount of facial hair, totally freaking rocks.

Now there are things that need to be addressed before you go out and just let Cousin It grow on your face. As Uncle Ben said in "Spider-Man," "With great power, comes great responsibility." First and foremost, decide on why you're growing this beard and if you're really committed to having one. Secondly, if you do decide to have this beard and are able to sport this look, you need to consider the maintenance and upkeep of this commodity.

You wouldn't own a Ferrari and not take care of it, would you? Fellas a beard needs some love like a sports or luxury car needs gas. So with that being said, WASH YOUR FREAKING FACE DUDE! Imagine ladies if your man didn't wash his beard, would you seriously want to make out with a dude that did not wash it? Nah, I didn't think so. Also for those of you men who have sensitive skin and will break out as soon as it gets a little thick like I used to, you'll need some face wash.

And lastly, when it comes to the male grooming of the hair on your face, invest in a beard comb to keep it straight and beard oil. It's still hair guys, so you need it kept up-make it neat and shiny. For the love of God, don't let that facial moss turn into looking like a beaver head is stuck in your mouth with the rest of the beaver air drying after you have run over it in a once-over with a hairdryer — it's just no bueno.

Having said all of this, it's really up to you as to what you do for "No Shave November." However, if you're thinking about looking more attractive and making a change, a beard might not be a bad idea. Also, it's the holiday season now, so if you're wanting a cuddle buddy, it's not a bad option to explore. Remember, you don't have to look like Gandalf to have a beard and create a little magic in your social or love life.