5 Reasons Why Horses are Great Pets

5 Reasons Why Horses are Great Pets

Horses can be the best pets ever.

7230
5 Reasons Why Horses are Great Pets
Abigail Weidner

There is nothing quite like having your first pet. Whether your first pet is a gold fish that swims in circles all day or a dog who loves to play fetch. Everyone loves their first pet and mine was a horse I got at 4 years old that was all my own. I lived on a horse farm and to finally have a horse that was all my own meant the world to me. Now here I am, 20 years old, still the same avid horse lover I was then. My sister and I have been showing horses for practically our whole lives, and these are the five reasons we believe horses make the best pets.

1. The sheer beauty of a horse.

While dog and cats are very beautiful animals, there is nothing better than a horse naturally running and playing in a pasture. Horses are large and delicate creatures who are striking, even at a distance. Whether you have been around horses your life or if you have just seen them for the first time, you can never get over just how beautiful the animals are.

2. You can ride a horse.

It sounds simple and obvious, but when you think about it, it actually makes horses really special. While many other domesticated animals have their own unique animal qualities, horses are one of the only animals that the owner can actually ride. Horse riding is so extremely diverse with many different types of riding and even two different types of saddles for the two main disciplines. Horse riding can be just going on rides through trails or showing horses. There are many different types of horse riding classes, all designed for the many different types of horses riders. The fact that you can ride a horse gives it a unique status among domesticated animals.

3. Diversity of horses.

Like most other domesticated pets, horses come in all shapes and sizes. There are over 1,000 horse and pony breeds recognized today and many different color variations coming in all breeds. There are many different colors like bay or palomino, as well popular breeds like the American Quarter Horse and the Thoroughbred Race Horse breed. Thoroughbred horses have become popular in American culture because of races like the Kentucky Derby and the Legacy of the Triple Crown. The American Quarter Horse Association has become the largest horse association in the United States, and is mainstream America's idea of what a horse should look like. From miniature ponies to saddle bred horses, there are very many different kinds of horses.

4. Horse showing and family.

Horse showing has been in my family for many generations. My great grandparents owned horses, my grandfather instilled a love of horses into my mom, and my mom passed horse riding onto my sister and me. Since we were little, my sister and I have been showing in Quarter Horse and 4H horse shows. We have both made lasting friendships and family bonds while showing horses together. Though we don't always get along, horse riding has given my sister and me something that we will always have in common. Though I am in college now and I can't show as much as I used to, I am behind my sister and her showing one hundred percent.

5. They are more than just a pet.

Horses to me are more than just a pet. I always treated my horses like people, instead of as an animal. Each horse has its own personality and characteristics. No two horses are alike. It's amazing all the different quirks they all have. I have formed a bond with my two horses, especially, and I would not trade a horse for anything in the world. While other pets have their own personalities as well, horses, in my opinion, are the most unique pets.