Reasons for Happiness

Reasons for Happiness

When life gets tough, think about the good
517

Life can be pretty stressful most of the time and it gets difficult trying to be happy when you feel like there’s absolutely nothing to be happy about. Sometimes I think about the direction my life is going and I get caught up in all the bad that I don’t even think about all the good. There are some things I’m sure most of us have taken for granted, which is why we feel like we can’t ever genuinely be happy. But look around because your life is filled with wonderful things to be happy about. If you don’t know, here they are:

1. Education- Most of the time we’re stressed because of the amount of work we get on a daily basis in school. But maybe we should start turning this negativity into positivity because we actually have something to be stressed out about. The fact that we’re in college tells us a great deal about who we are and that’s something to always be happy and proud about.

2. Family- On our roughest and stressed-filled days, who do we usually turn to? I know I would call my parents in a heartbeat. They seem to know exactly what to say when I need to be reminded of all the great things going for me. Sometimes I take these talks for granted. When I tell myself that I can’t ever be happy, I seem to forget my family whom I’m doing this for in the first place. So when you’re feeling down, remember you have a family that’s always there to support you, something we should always be happy for.

3. Books- Okay maybe this only applies to me because I’m a bookworm, but books are something we never really consider when we think of happiness. Books make me happy because they pretty much carry a whole other world in them. I get lost in all these different worlds and I try to apply some of the things I read about into the real world. Maybe you should try reading if ever you’re feeling unhappy.

4. Traveling- I don’t mean travel all over the world because, let’s face it, we’re broke college students and we just couldn’t afford it. But I just mean travel. Explore different places you’ve never been to, visit places you’ve been to as a child and see how your views and perspectives have changed, explore your home town and see all these different places you’ve yet to explore. Starting in small places will get you to realize how small you truly are compared to the rest of the world and be happy knowing you have this whole world to explore.

5. Home- whether it be your house, dorm, bedroom or wherever else, be happy knowing you have a place to consider your home. It’s your own sanctuary and on the days you’re feeling down, remember that you have a place where you can let out all your emotions. It’s your own place and know that no one can touch you there. Having a home means that you’re free to think, feel and do what you want. This freedom should make you happy.

While I know there are way more than five things to be happy about, it’s nice to look back on these five when you feel that your life is going all wrong. Friendly reminder that you have a whole life ahead of you filled with reasons to be happy. Don’t dwell on the things that you can no longer fix or the things that you feel you can’t be happy about. This world is massive, so remember there’s always reasons to be happy.