Why Everyone Should Listen To McFly

Why Everyone Should Listen To McFly

Although they have had a career spanning 13 years, they haven't broken America yet. Here's why you should give them a listen.

152
Why Everyone Should Listen To McFly
Express

McFly is my favorite band ever. If you know me, you have definitely heard of them ad nauseam. If you don't, chances are you have never heard of them at all. Even though they have been a band since 2003/2004, they haven't been able to break America yet. In honor of their Anthology Tour starting this month, in which they are playing their entire discography for the first time, here is why you should listen to McFly.

First, some backstory. One of the lead singers, Tom Fletcher, was supposed to be in another British band called Busted. He lasted for a day before the other band decided there should only be 3 members. He continued to write with the Busted guys though, and their label decided he was talented enough to help him form his own band. And thus McFly was born. Tom Fletcher on guitar, piano, and vocals, Danny Jones on guitar and vocals, Dougie Poynter on bass and vocals, and Harry Judd on drums. Fun fact: You know "Year 3000," the JoBros song you always had stuck in your head? It's a Busted song that Tom helped write. Yep. Here's why America should give them the chance they deserve:

McFly has had many sounds over their decade plus in the music industry, so I'm going to give a brief look into each of their albums.

"Room on the Third Floor," 2004

McFly's debut album is very 2004 pop rock with Beach Boy vibes thrown in. The band members were very young, ages 16 to 19, so they got labelled a "boy band" and had a hard time convincing non-fangirls that they were legitimate musicians. The whole album was written or co-written by the 2 lead singers, Tom Fletcher and Danny Jones, and they all play their own instruments. The first song I ever heard from them was "That Girl," which is a fun pop song. All it took was the 1st line of the second verse to realize I was hooked. Danny's voice is something special. The title track is about how they stayed in a hotel writing songs for the album and how they want to stay humble because they know they started in a hotel room. Even at 18, you can tell Tom and Danny will grow into amazing lyricists.

"Wonderland," 2005

With "Wonderland," the boys went a little bit darker in tone. "I'll Be Ok," is one of my go-to songs anytime I need a pick me up. "Too Close For Comfort" is one of their bests, and "She Falls Asleep Part 1 and 2" is a beautiful, tragic song about a girl committing suicide. On a lighter note, one of McFly's biggest songs ever, "All About You" was written as a Valentine's Day gift for Tom's now-wife, and now it's got a life of its own.

Both of McFly's first 2 albums were combined and re-released in the US as the soundtrack for the movie "Just My Luck," starring Chris Pine and Lindsay Lohan. They also starred in the movie, and while their acting was iffy, they did play all their own songs.

"Motion in the Ocean," 2006

After filming "Just My Luck," the McFly guys wrote a song about trying to hook up with Lindsay Lohan called "Please Please." How 2006 of them. It is a surprisingly great song. This album produced one of their biggest hits with "Star Girl," and what's not to love about a song with the lyrics, "There's nothing on Earth that can save us, when I fell in love with Uranus." While they certainly know how to joke around with their lyrics, they also write some of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. "A Walk in the Sun" is Danny's song and it is so touching that my best friend got lyrics from it as a tattoo. It's quiet, acoustic guitar with no pomp and circumstance. With lyrics like, "Such a long, long way to go. Where I'm going, I don't know. I'm just following the road for a walk in the sun," the song is able to stand by itself as a piece of art.

"Radio:Active," 2008

My favorite cd ever. This one is definitely more rock than the previous outings. "One for the Radio," is a song about McFly's frustrations about their placement in the music industry. With lines like, "Don't pretend you hate us and then sing along 'cause we all look the same in the dark," you can feel the frustration with not being able to break the "boy band" label. One of my favorite songs ever, "Falling in Love" is one of the cd's highlights and the song that spawned my own tattoo, "Smile," is also a gem. Whenever I need it, this song tells me to "Remember to smile and that's a good enough start." Another highlight is "Down Goes Another One," which is the male point of view of "She Falls Asleep" from their second album.

"Above the Noise," 2010

At last, we've come to the very polarizing cd that is "Above the Noise." McFly still hadn't broke in America yet, aside from a very loyal fanbase, so they went to Atlanta to work with R&B/pop producer Dallas Austin. The result was a very non-McFly album that they tend to cringe at now. I will say however, that I enjoy most of the songs. No, it's not the McFly we were used to, but it's still got enjoyable pop songs that just happen to be more R&B than rock. "Shine a Light" features Taio Cruz, which I genuinely thought would get them on the radio here. "Nowhere Left to Run" has been reworked live to add more rock, and "I Need a Woman" is one of the sexiest songs I've ever heard. So the album does have its merits.

If you think you've never heard of McFly, here are some surprising ways you may have become aware of them, besides Just My Luck and Year 3000:

They wrote songs for One Direction. "I Want," "Don't Forget Where You Belong," and my favorite, "I Would" were all co-written by them.

Tom Fletcher has gone viral multiple times. His wedding speech using McFly songs has almost 18 million views and he was even interviewed on American tv because of it. The Fine Bros did a Teens React episode about it, as well. I even heard my dad listening to it from the other room and I ran in screaming about McFly. hahaha

My Wedding Speech He also made a video introducing his newborn son where he took a picture of his pregnant wife every day and made it into a stop motion video that ended with her walking in with their son. When his son got older, he went viral again with a video that was all over Facebook and had his son giggling at dandelions.

McFly deserves to be known in America, because not only are they insanely talented, they are genuinely lovely guys. Be sure to let me know if you become a new fan! :D