5 Reasons I've Started Embracing Books And Leaving Behind Technology

It's amazing how much your life can change for the better when you pick up a book instead of your phone.

56

This semester I'm finally into classes for my major and I've discovered that I actually enjoy reading my textbooks as odd as that sounds. I'm not sure if it's because of that, the fact that I've always been a huge reader, maybe because a couple weeks ago my favorite author released two new novels, or that spending time in bookstores is therapeutic for me, but recently I've been reverting back to paperback books and leaving behind my technology.

I grew out of reading for a little while, so it's only been a couple weeks but I'm already finding myself more positive and optimistic.

Don't get me wrong, I still check my Instagram, Twitter, and Snapchat ten times everyday. And I'm still plugging along with the Game of Thrones series. But now when I go to grab my phone, I reconsider it.

You'd be surprised at how much you can get done when your phone isn't on you at all times. In the past three weeks I've read two novels and I'm ahead on my homework. Along with that I found that some other areas of my life are improving.

1. I get way more sleep.

Instead of being on my phone before bed, I read. Nothing specifically, but I've found that reading before bed relaxes me and I end up getting way more sleep. Partly because I have to get up and turn my light off once I'm done reading, but not allowing myself to be on my phone right before I plan on getting in bed almost forces me to go to sleep.

2. I've learned a lot. 

Someday, I hope to have my own books published. But for now, I'm getting a lot of inspiration from other authors. I've been challenging myself to go outside my comfort zone and read new genres that I typically wouldn't such as, non-fiction, and horror. It's amazing how much you learn when you try something new. In this case, I've learned that I'm a huge fan of horror.

3. I've found that I retain more when I'm holding a physical book than reading something online.

Technology is here to stay and is only going to evolve from this day forward, so it's inevitable that my professors are going to assign something that needs online research. But as much as I can, I use my textbooks for information now. I realized I understand more of what I'm reading when I flip the pages.

4. I have way less anxiety.

There are so many notifications that pop up on your phone in one day. They might seem harmless, but in my case, I've found that I stress about them a lot. Of course, it's important when Canvas, the classes managing system, informs me that I have a new project or quiz assigned. But taking a break from always seeing those notifications has helped relax me way more than I would have guessed it could.

5. Reading has made me more positive.

De-stressing, getting more sleep, and enjoying what I've read has allowed me to look forward to every part of my day. The novels, case studies, and textbooks I've read have taught me more ways to tackle what life throws at me. In a way, it's made me more confident. Almost like I've developed more, just like the characters I read about.