What You Realize When Your Young Friend Passes Away

Tomorrow Isn't Always Promised, So Love Harder Today

28
Gerrit Vermeulen

When you are young, you don't expect your friend to pass away. You believe that everyone lives to 100 and that the people you see everyday will be there tomorrow. Then suddenly your friend passes away, and you start looking at everything through a different lens. The death of a young friend leaves a special hole in your heart and makes you realize many different things about life.

You realize that each moment with your friends should be cherished. You begin to love your friends harder, appreciating each and every time you get to spend with them. Hanging out with friends becomes more than just being in the same room as a person doing something fun. Hugs become more than a quick greeting. Each time you spend with people becomes a special time that is cherished so closely.

You realize that it's never worth ending a day in an argument. Life is so much bigger than a argument or disagreeing over something silly. You realize that so many moments are wasted by arguing over small things instead of enjoying your time together. It is better to embrace each other's differences instead of spending your time arguing over them. Losing a friend reminds you to always be kind and loving, because you never know when it will be the last chance with someone.

You realize that people were placed in your life for a specific reason. When you lose a friend, there is a hole in your heart for that person. You see exactly what they were doing in your life, or how they were influencing you. After losing a friend, you start to see more clearly how each person in your life fits into the picture. Each friend makes a difference in your life in their own way, and each way becomes more cherished.

You realize that you need to slow down. It's so easy to rush through each day, checking things off our lists and calendars. When you lose a friend, it makes you realize that each moment should be cherished and it's not worth it to rush through each day. You start opening your eyes to what surrounds you and seeing each moment as sacred and a gift.

You realize God's plan is always greater, even if you don't understand it. More than anything, you realize that this world is out of your control. You don't get to hold onto your friends as long as you want, or as long as you think they should be here. God's plan is always greater. We may never get the answers or understand why it was our friend's time to go, but we have peace in knowing that God has a plan, and it is the best plan. You learn to trust God and remember that one day, you will see your friend again.

So don't forget to slow down. Hug your friends a little tighter. Remind your friends how much you love them. Put down your phones and cherish the moments you have with people. Embrace your differences instead of arguing. Love people. Love people. Love people. And more than anything, don't forget to have hope and remember that God's plan is always greater.