The Reality Of Summer For A College Student

It's hard not to miss nights out with your college roommates. ​

3
Julia Trout

The second my parents came to pick me up after my last final, words couldn't even describe how excited I was to see them. By that time, my brain was fried from studying and taking exams, I was running on three hours of sleep from the night before and the only thing I consumed in the last few days was caffeine. It was safe to say I was ready for a home-cooked meal and a good night's sleep in my own bed.

Moving all of my stuff out of my freshman dorm was bittersweet. All I could do was reminisce on the many crazy times spent in my room and I was sad to be leaving it forever.

The first few days home were probably the best days spent at home ever. Besides the unpacking that had to be done, just knowing I was going to be at home for a while after not being home for more than a weekend all year was very comforting.

Seeing everyone the first few weeks was the best! Finally spending time with family and friends you haven't seem for months was the greatest feeling ever. As many times as I repeated the same things about how everything went over spring semester and what my plans were for the summer, just being in the presence of someone you haven't seen in forever was unbeatable.

Within the first two weeks, reality hits! The most dreaded part of being home was, hands down, starting back up with work. You start to realize that your bank account is sitting in the single digits and how is it possible to have fun over the summer with no money? As hard as it is to get back in the routine of working day after day, you begin to accept that working beats any day of studying for hours on end, and you’re actually getting paid for your work when at home!

Besides work, the gym is another hard obstacle at home. While at school, everyone has the mindset that when they come home for summer break, they will plan to practically live at the gym over the summer. However, this rarely seems to happen. All the time you think you will have to spend at the gym turns into time spent at work, hanging out with friends and family and sleeping. Hey, there is always next semester at school to start back up at the gym.

Along with the struggles of work and getting back in the routine of going to the gym, you being to quickly realize how much you miss being at school. It doesn't matter how excited you get about coming home for the summer––there comes a time where you cant wait to arrive back on campus. Yeah, spending time with your parents and showering without flip flops is awesome. However, not being able to watch "The Bachelorette" with your friends from school or to travel with them into the city for the day becomes something you really miss. As much as you promised friends from college that you would get together over the summer, you quickly realize that everyone has their own work schedules and summer plans. But in only a few short months, they will be right down the hall from you again!

In a blink of an eye, you look at the calendar and notice that moving back to school is only one month away. You slowly begin to transition back into the mind set of packing away and buying things you need for the following year. You are amazed at how fast four months flew by. It hits you that as excited as you are to go back to school for the following year, everything is about to change for the next nine months. You'll miss your family and friends from home.

Summer has its phases for a college student, it really does! Just remember to appreciate time with your loved ones and close friends because before you know it, it’ll be the start of a brand new school year!