Reality of Burnout

The Reality of Burnout

Don't sacrifice your mental health for your education.

191

As a student, I have heard about burnout, but I never thought I would experience it in my own life. Being a premed student, my schedule has always been packed. Lots of science courses, lots of studying, but I always make it through! But this semester especially got to me. I don't know if it's the added pressure of studying for the MCAT and applying for medical school, or the fact that graduation is so close, but I really burned out. It became so hard for me to get up in the morning. Previously, when I would wake up early and get some studying in or go to the gym, I find myself hitting the snooze button until I'm racing to get to class in the morning. I stopped doing a lot of the things that I previously loved and enjoyed, like going to the gym.... And then I started to slip in school. I just didn't have the motivation to put effort into anything. I didn't realize how bad it had gotten until I noticed:

- It's been a while since I studied for the MCAT

- It's been a while since I studied for anything

- What... I have an exam in two days! I have THREE EXAMS THIS WEEK

It was the hardest week of my life. I tried my best to cram all the material I could, but the reality was I couldn't. I hadn't put any effort into paying attention in class. I never reviewed what little notes I took. I was screwed, and I had no choice but to take the L.
Though it was very depressing to see my results on the exams, it was a real reminder that I need to chill out and take care of myself! I was putting so much into studying for MCAT and class while working and trying to balance what little social life I've managed to maintain. I was juggling a lot, and never took a second to breath.
The best remedy for burnout is self love. I slowed down, reevaluated everything to ensure I was prepared for the next week. I took sometime this weekend to get my nails done and go to the gym. And slowly, but surely, I am starting to feel like me again!