Realistic New Years' Resolutions for College Students

That you might actually do!

76

At the end of the year, it is common to make resolutions for the new year. While I believe this is a good idea, I think it's important to be realistic. I've compiled a list of what I believe to be realistic goals to attain for college students. Pick one or two and join me in bettering ourselves!

1. Get better grades

Unless you're getting an A+ in every single one of your classes, you can always do better!

2. Spend less time on your phone

We're all spending far too much time perusing Facebook, checking Twitter, or taking Snapchats. I, for one, am going to try to spend less time on my phone and more time living in the moment!

3. Dress nicely for class

During the middle of the semester, it seems darn near impossible to wear anything but Nike shorts and a t-shirt to class, but treat your classmates to a nice sight by dressing up once in a while for class. You will look presentable, feel good, and your peers will appreciate it.

4. Keep your room clean

As dirty clothes, dust, crumbs, and random free stuff accumulate, remember your New Years' resolution to keep your room clean. It's better for you, your roommate, and for anyone who visits your room.

5. Update your calendar and keep it updated

It isn't that hard to keep a calendar, but it only takes a few days of forgetting to write down agenda items to completely forgo keeping an organized calendar and agenda. It feels nice to check things off your list and to have all your events organized anyway.

6. Read more

With homework and tests looming, time for reading can go by the wayside. Maybe instead of watching tv when you have free time, though, read a book instead. Everyone stands to be more well-read.

7. Be more inclusive

Live by "the more the merrier!" By adopting this resolution, you stand to make more friends, be liked by more people, and grow as a person. Never allow someone to feel left out, and be open to introducing people who may not know each other.

8. Get a decent night's rest

This is one I struggle with, as someone who likes to stay up late, but it's a tried-and-true good resolution. And good for your health.

2017 is finally upon us, and there is a lot to look forward to. Start your new year off in a good way by adopting simple resolutions into your daily life. Small differences add up, and soon enough, you'll be having a wonderful, more productive year than ever before.