Realistic New Year's Resolutions To Add To Your List

2017 is coming...are you ready?

5

It's that time of year again! Everyone's cleaning out their closets, buying gym memberships, returning unwanted Christmas gifts, choosing classes, and setting resolutions for the coming year. It can be hard to make and stick to resolutions. Sometimes it's downright overwhelming...so here are a few realistic ideas to put you on the right track.

Take More Pictures
Make sure to stay in the moment while you capture those memories.

Download a Language App On Your Phone
Duolingo, HelloTalk, and Mindsnacks are popular options.

Go To Bed Before Midnight 2am On School Nights
Your brain and body will thank you.

Send a Message To Someone Who Needs a Pick-Me-Up
Just a little check in. Via sticky note, Facebook, text, or hand-written card will be sure to brighten their day.

Keep "To-Done" Lists
Instead of making list after list of what you need to do (and maybe you need to keep one of those in your planner too,) keep a list of things you have accomplished. It'll make you feel better about yourself!

Learn A New Joke
Something fun to whip out at parties..Try here, here, and here. And of course, keep up with the memes.

Cook a Meal All By Yourself
Maybe try out a new Tasty recipe.

Organize That Drawer
You know the one...that one you're afraid to open. Organize it. Throw out anything you don't need.

Donate At Least One Piece Of Clothing
Is it too small? Too big? Too...your mother bought it? Donate that shit.

Make Time For Yourself
Whether that means going to the gym, starting counseling, setting up a dentist appointment, using a coloring book, showering, or just watching Netflix.

Keep a Running Tally Of All The Cool Things You've Done
Like a reverse bucket list. You can even try a cute mason jar idea, like this one.

Prioritise Your Friendships
Make time in your week to hang out with people that lift you up and inspire you, and to keep in contact with the peeps who might be far away.

Throw Away Your Hole-y Socks
It's time, dude.

Stop Waiting For "The Right Time."
Or a sign, or an omen...This is the sign. Do the thing. Wear the thing. Ask the question. The time is now.

Spend One Dollar A Week On Someone Else
Preferably someone who really needs it. Donate to a charity, stick a dollar in a donation can, pay for the car behind you at the tolls, or buy a coffee for someone who doesn't have the money.

Spend At Least 10 Minutes A Day Reflecting...
Without judging yourself, spend some time checking in with your breath and emotions. This could be meditating, yoga, going for a walk, journaling, coloring...anything really.

Remember That This Year Is a Brand New Chance
You can reinvent yourself or you can just keep plugging along, improving where you can. Resolutions are just goals, not requirements. If you have a big goal, break it down into smaller steps and resolutions so you don't get overwhelmed. And if things start to go haywire, remember that you don't have to wait until next week, or next month, or next year to start fresh.

Don't let 2017 stress you out - You got this!