The Real Reasons College Kids Can't Wait For Thanksgiving Break

This is what we're thankful for.

74

It’s about that time in the semester when the weather is declining along with our mood, energy, and mental sanity. We don’t want to do anything besides lay in our beds for hours on end and avoid thinking about anything and everything school-related.

The true meaning behind Thanksgiving is to show how grateful you are for you friends and family and all that you have in life, but that’s not the only reason why college kids cannot wait to get away from campus and home for Thanksgiving break.

No Class

To start with the obvious reasons, this short and perfectly timed break means no class for a couple of days. Honestly, we are at that point in the semester when that Procrastination-Nation flag is flying high and our energy and motivation stays sleeping soundly in bed while our bodies roll out of it and crawl to class. This break means a few days without any exams, quizzes or meetings we have to keep track of. And it’s the last couple of sane days that we have left before we pack up our belongings and move into the library, where we will live during finals week in December.

Dogs, Dogs, Dogs

You can’t honestly say that there is anyone back at home that you miss more than your pets. They love you unconditionally and watching them sprint around in circles filled with excitement when you get home and out of the car is pure bliss. And the best part is, they don’t hound you with questions like “how are your classes going this semester?” or “any special boys in your life… yet?” after they greet you with their sloppy kisses. Nope, all you get is love and cuddles, which you highly prefer over school-related small talk on your one and only weekend away from dreaded reality.

…REAL FOOD!

The absolute best part about Thanksgiving break is the fact that you don’t have to take one step into a dining hall. No microwave oatmeal in your dorm room or nothing but a quick granola bar for breakfast on your way to class. No cold, instant mashed potatoes or odd-colored meat that dining services decided to serve for dinner three days last week. You couldn’t be more ready to shove your face full of perfectly seasoned turkey and fresh vegetables. Oh, did I forget to mention your Grandma’s famous apple pie? Yep, you’ll be all set to go in your fat clothes to eat about four slices of that along with your annual Thanksgiving-Leftovers sandwich the next day for lunch.

Your Mom

On your break from school you just want to vent about all the stress that you’ve encountered this semester, and who better to vent to than your mom? She probably doesn’t want to listen, but she doesn’t have a choice. She’s the most comforting person you know and seems to have this magic ability to take your mind off of just about anything with a movie, ice cream, and some hugs.

Laundry

Why pack a suitcase for break when you can just drag your bursting-at-the-seams laundry bag home with you? There’s nothing you hate more than having to perfectly time when you’re going to do your laundry based around your classes and when there will actually be a washer open, even if that means doing a few loads at midnight on a Tuesday. At home it's smooth sailing, and if you’re lucky your mom might even help you fold it all when you're finished.

Avoid the Cold

At home you don’t have to go outside in the cold because you don’t have to do anything. You don’t have to go to class, you don’t have to go to the library, and all that's on your agenda for the day is curling up in your bed where it’s nice and toasty. The very last thing you want to think about is the cold that is going to welcome you back to school come next semester, so you’ll bundle up under all your blankets in your queen-sized bed and take the best nap that you’ve taken all year (and you’ve taken a lot of naps). When you wake up? You’ll get to take a hot shower with amazing, non-fluctuating water-pressure and you won’t even have to wear your flip-flops.

Much-Needed Down Time

This semester has exhausted you like no other, and you haven’t been able to catch a break. Your routine during the week can be generally summed up to waking up early, going to class, doing some homework, taking an exam, and repeating it all over again. And when the weekends roll around they’re not exactly relaxing either. Usually, they just end up leaving you more sleep deprived than you felt last Monday. This Thanksgiving break you’ll sit on the couch without pants and only get up to eat. You deserve a break, and that’s what you’ll get.

So, the real reasons why college kids can’t wait for Turkey Day 2015? Well, we sure are thankful for our beds and those home-cooked meals, to say the least. But of course, Thanksgiving wouldn’t be nearly as enjoyable without the time we get to spend with our friends and family… after you wake up from your food-coma.