A Real Life Superhero

A Real Life Superhero

J.J. Watt wants to make the world a better place, and we should all strive to follow in his footsteps, no matter how big they are.

101
A Real Life Superhero
JJ Watt Instagram

When people discuss athletes, the word hero is mentioned in conversation perhaps a little too much. Sometimes though, the word may be an understatement. Justin James Watt, better known as J.J. Watt, may be a real life superhero.

J.J. Watt grew up in a small town in Wisconsin. He grew up in a family that was extremely tight knit. Watt’s dream of playing professional football was always supported by his parents and his brothers. Watt got a scholarship from Central Michigan and went there his freshman year before transferring to the University of Wisconsin after his freshman year. He grew up a badger’s fan so this was a dream come true. However, Watt did not receive any scholarship money from Wisconsin. Once he proved his ability, then he received money.

During his time as a Badger, J.J. Watt boasted an incredible resume, but it only went up from there. He was drafted as the 11th pick in the 2011draft. His next destination: Houston. J.J. Watt has been the defensive player of the year 3x already, and he still has room left to make even more history. Not only did J.J. immediately make a difference on the field, but he constantly made a difference in the city. He volunteered, and constantly donated and tried to help people in need. Obviously Watt is best known for his on field performances, but it is what he does when he is not playing that really sets him apart from the rest.

In 2017 when Hurricane Harvey decimated Houston, J.J. immediately got to working. Using all of his social media platforms, he called on everyone to help donate to help save a drowning Houston. He started a fundraiser once he saw just how bad the damage was! What Watt did not know at the time was just how much of a difference he would make. Watt’s original goal of 200,000 quickly was fulfilled, but that just fueled Watt more. He was constantly posting videos, and calling on all of the world to help this shattered city; because of Watt’s persistence and dedication more people started to take action. The final amount of money came out to 37,097,243 dollars. Watt ended up raising more than 185x his original goal of 200,000.

Just last week, J.J. Watt helped many people yet again. After a deadly shooting at a highschool in Texas, 10 people were left dead and hundreds more were left feeling hopeless. A few days after the shooting occurred, J.J. Watt offered to pay for every single funeral. He felt pain for the families and friends who had lost a loved one, and wanted to help ease the pain.

Without a doubt, J.J. Watt is a real life super hero. He puts himself out there and uses his platform for good. J.J. Watt wants to make the world a better place, and we should all strive to follow in his footsteps, no matter how big they are.