A Real Ballerina Should've Been In The Vogue Video

Here's my personal opinion on the Kendall Jenner vs The Dance Community scandal.

101

I do not have a ballerina body. I am five feet tall, I have short legs and big boobs; I am far from looking like Misty Copeland. What I do have though is 15 years of ballet training at a dance studio with a former professional dancer as my instructor.

I was never the best in my class. There were always girls that could jump higher than me or turn faster than me but that never discouraged me from working hard. I'll tell you first hand, ballet is hard. Even after my 15 years of training, I was nowhere near good enough to move on professionally. Very few girls have the capability to become professional ballerinas. Those that do, put a lifetime of effort into it. They add years onto their bodies, and come home every night bruised and bloody. They have worked everyday since they were young to be able to put on a leotard and dance on stage.

It makes me sad when that hard work is not recognized. It makes me sad when ballerinas are belittled and pushed aside for someone with no experience. It makes me sad when models throw on ballet clothes and pose like ballerinas.

I’m sure many of you have seen Kendall Jenner’s video for Vogue. If you haven't you can watch it here:

This article is not about her, it is about something bigger. She is a model, she was given a job and she did it and she looked beautiful. I have always admired how the Kardashians and Jenners have created an empire for themselves. This shoot was just too far for me to get on board with. I would've loved to see Kendall alongside a professional who can actually point her feet and use the barre correctly.

The whole problem lies within society not giving credit where credit is due. It is when people think that a model can throw on some pointe shoes and look the same as a woman who has been training her entire life, or putting hard work second to fame.

Vogue wanted a famous face and that’s fine, they have every right to that, but if they are going to play dress up and have Kendall flop around, then they should’ve just chosen a professional. There are plenty of famous and beautiful ballerinas that could have filled that position nicely.

What if we took a professional dancer off the stage, gave her some heels and threw her on the runway? How would all the models feel that didn’t get that spot because it was given to someone who hasn’t modeled a day in her life

Ballerinas are beautiful women who deserve every ounce of credit they can get. As are models. Let's recognize the real life women who work hard every day to be amazing at what they do.