How Re-Reading My Favorite Book Taught Me Stuff All Over Again

If you don’t already know "Tuesdays With Morrie" is about a dying professor with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ASL) who teaches one of his old student everything he can about “life’s greatest lesson”.

68
instagram: paminthecity

Re-reading books is not something I am a fan of. What is the point? I already know the plot and I already know how it will end. Re-reading a book just takes time away from me reading a book I haven’t already read. However, last week I found myself in a rut. For every one book I read start to finish I started but never finished three books. This was the biggest reading slump I have ever been in.

Since I found myself in this rut my favorite book kept beckoning me to read it. It had been eight years since I first read it. "Tuesdays with Morrie" by the one and only Mitch Albom is my favorite book, and therefore, he is my favorite author.

If you don’t already know "Tuesdays with Morrie", it's about a dying professor with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ASL) who teaches one of his old students everything he can about “life’s greatest lesson”. It’s a tear-jerker and you’ll learn so many life lessons. The more you read it the more you’ll learn and understand.

Here are some things I noticed/ questioned on my re-read (note: I will make sure to re-read this book every few years).

• This was the first memoir I ever read.
  • How did Albom afford the plane ticket from Detroit to Massachusetts?
  • When Albom speaks in the book he doesn’t quote himself. I found it refreshing and not confusing to follow at all.
  • This is where my desire for partnership begins. The craving to have someone teach me about life but most importantly have someone learn with me.
  • I have never had a professor like Morrie. Not in human form, I don’t think. The only professor I’ve had remotely close to Morrie is called life.
  • I found it extremely renovating Morrie’s detachment style from life while he was dying. He kept little to himself (materialistic wise) and he didn’t mourn the fact that he was dying. He kept his family members and friends close and he gave Albom (and us by extension) a beautiful gift in the mist of sadness. That life is a precious gift and you don’t have to be in your death bed to understand it and live it.

I am glad that I was able to gain this understanding at an early age but I am even gladder that I was reminded again when I re-read this book.

Now guys, what I am about to tell you is true. On Saturday, April 30th at 7:59 p.m. I almost died of a heart attack!!! I wish I was kidding. (noted: I am TOTALLY EXAGGERATING). Earlier in the day I had finished re-reading "Tuesdays with Morrie" when I immediately started reading "The Time Keeper" by Albom and I posted it on Instagram—because social media is so cool. Guys… Mitch Albom responded to my tweet (because all my social media’s link together). HE RESPONDED!!!! I told you I almost died of a heart attack.

I fan-girled my Saturday night away (best freaking way to spend my Saturday night—don’t judge). I called my dad with the exciting news and I also cried. It was an emotional moment for me. How often can someone say that their favorite author noticed them? April 30th will forever be a day to remember in my book.