Reaction to Ed Sheeran's Album "Divide"

Reaction to Ed Sheeran's Album "Divide"

Spoiler alert: I pretty much loved it.

148
Reaction to Ed Sheeran's Album "Divide"
sheeran-usa

Ed Sheeran took a hiatus for the last year or so to get his bearings to write his third album "Divide." It has been about 3 years since the release of his second studio album "Multiply," and some may say that he has come back better than ever. I was one of those fans counting down the days until Ed returned, and now that his album is out I am beyond excited. It came out on March 3rd, 2017 (and yes, the third album on the third day of the third month--I think he did that on purpose, but I am not sure) and I have been listening to some of these songs quite a bit.

For those of you who have not listened to the album yet: go listen to it. You can find it on Spotify to listen for free, or on iTunes to purchase.

"Divide" is Sheeran's third studio album and comes after "Plus (+)" and "Multiply (x)." He has topped the charts after the release of this album, and with good reason. If you do not have the time to listen to the whole album, I have listed the album below with a short review of the song and a rating out of 10. (Keep in mind that I do have my own personal favorites and those are probably going to be rated higher than some others.)

1. Eraser (3:47)

This song is old-school Ed. In this song, he is expressing how he feels about fame and fortune. He raps in this song. The most prominent lyric for me in this song is, "I'm well aware of certain things that could destroy a man like me." I really like this song and how honest it is. There are things in this life that Ed does not like and he is being open about it.

Rating: 7/10 (This is mainly because I still do not know all the words to the song).

2. Castle on the Hill (4:21)

This song is pretty upbeat, and is a nostalgic song that Ed wrote about his hometown. It is a very relatable song. "Castle on the Hill" was released as a single in January, so it is pretty well-known now.

Rating: 8.5/10

3. Dive (3:51)

In this song, Ed is singing about knowing how someone feels about him before he dives into the relationship. It has a very smooth rhythm to it. "Don't call me baby, unless you mean it" is a lyric in the chorus of this song. The lyrics and melody of this song are really lovely.

Rating: 9/10

4. Shape of You (3:54)

"Shape of You" is a very upbeat song about meeting a girl in a bar while being out with friends. Ed sings about really liking this girl and how her "love was handmade for somebody like me" . It was released as a single in January along with "Castle on the Hill."

Rating: 8/10

5. Perfect (4:23)

This is another love song by Ed. It is a slower song, done primarily on guitar, and Ed is singing about falling in love really young and not knowing what exactly is happening. It talks about fighting through everything that is thrown against them. One of the lyrics in this song is, "We were just kids when we fell in love, not knowing what it was." "I found a woman stronger than anyone I know," is another lyric in this song.

Rating: 9/10

6. Galway Girl (2:51)

"She played the fiddle in an Irish band, but she fell in love with an English man," is the very first lyric of this song. This song is one of the two Irish-inspired songs of this album. It is super upbeat and a song you will want to get up and dance to. In this song, it is all about having fun and how Ed wants to dance with his "pretty little galway girl."

Rating: 9/10 (I really, really love this song).

7. Happier (3:28)

This song is one of those songs that someone may want to play after a breakup. Ed sings about how he was happier with this girl that he hurt, but she is happier with a different guy. "You look happier, you do," "ain't nobody hurt you like I hurt you, ain't nobody love you like I do," and "baby you look happier you do,my friends told me one day I'd feel it too" are all very prominent lyrics to the theme of this song. Ed is heartbroken, but he seems to know that it's for the best.

Rating: 9/10

8. New Man (3:09)

"New Man" is another upbeat song the features Ed rapping. This song is about this new guy that Ed's old girlfriend is dating. He raps some negative things about this new guy (and he is not that nice to this girl either). "I don't wanna know about your new man, cause if it was meant to be you wouldn't be calling me up trying to, cause I'm positive he don't wanna know about me," is a lyric that pretty much sums up the whole song.

Rating: 5.5/10 (I am rating it this way because of some of the lyrics of the song. I love the song in theory, and it is a serious jam, but it is not the nicest song I have ever heard.)

9. Hearts Don't Break Around Here (4:08)

This song is a turn-around from the other two. Ed has met a new girl and has fallen in love with her. "Daisies, daisies perched upon your forehead, baby, baby I know," is a lyric towards the beginning of the song. This song is very gentle and soothing. It is slow compared to "New Man," but I really like this one.

Rating: 7.5/10 (I do really like this song, but it just is not above a 7.5/8 for me).

10. What Do I Know? (3:57)

"What Do I Know" is an upbeat guitar song that sounds like a message to the world. Ed sings about how love and a song can change the world. "Love could change the word in a moment, but what do I know," is the most important lyric in this song, I think. It puts the whole message of the song out there.

Rating: 8.5/10 (It is super cute and I like the message it gives).

11. How Would You Feel (Paean) (4:41)

This song is another slow one in which Ed is just singing about his love. It is a really sweet song that is probably good for a couple to dance to if they are feeling super in love one night. "Spending my life, falling deeper in love with you," is one of the lyrics in this song. So, not only is Ed singing about his love, he is telling her that he is in love with her and asking how she would feel about that.

Rating: 7/10 (It is not one of my absolute favorites, but it is super pretty).

12. Supermarket Flowers (3:41)

"Supermarket Flowers" may be the saddest song on the album. This song is about someone passing away, and it feels like Ed witnessed this happening. The lyrics in the song address specific people, making it feel even more personal. This song feels like a direct look into Ed's life, and it is quite heartbreaking. "A heart that's broke is a heart that's been loved. So I'll sing Hallelujah, you were an angel in the shape of my mum."

Rating: 9.5/10 (This song is very beautiful, and the lyrics are incredible. It pulls emotions out of you and I think that is super important in a song.)

13. Barcelona (3:11)

Ed added another upbeat song to this album with this one. This song (obviously) has a Spanish influence. To showcase that influence, Ed included lyrics in Spanish. The song as a whole is just about dancing in the streets of Barcelona and having fun.

Rating: 6/10 (It is a super fun song, but I do not think it is one that really made the album.)

14. Bibia Be Ye Ye (2:57)

All will be well. That is what "Bibia Be Ye ye" translates to. Ed wrote this song with Fuse ODG while he was in Ghana. This song is a super upbeat, happy song. Throughout the song Ed sings about all the things that are going wrong, or just things that are not ideal, and at the end of it all he sings "bibia be ye ye."

Rating: 7.5/10 (It is a super cute song that has a good message, but like "Barcelona" I do not think it made the album what it is.)

15. Nancy Mulligan (3:00)

"Nancy Mulligan" is another Irish-inspired song. This song is also a lot of fun. "She was Nancy Mulligan and I was William Sheeran" is a lyric in the chorus of this song.

Rating: 8.5/10 (It is a personal favorite of mine, so I rated it higher, but I do not think it is the best song on the album.)

16. Save Myself (4:07)

This song is probably one of the best on the album. It is a slow song that has lyrics about doing things for so many other people, but not taking care of yourself. It is one that some people may need to listen to if they feel as though they are constantly giving and that it is drowning them. The very first lyric is: "I gave all my Oxygen to people that could breathe." That lyric just gives the whole mood for the whole song. Ed follows in the chorus with: "So before I save someone else, I've got to save myself."

Rating: 10/10 (I think that this song is absolutely beautiful and the lyrics are amazing. I definitely think that it is a must-listen if you only have time for one song.)