My Reaction to the 13th Doctor

My Reaction to the 13th Doctor

The Future is All Girl

19
My Reaction to the 13th Doctor
flipboard

I began watching “Doctor Who” years ago at a friend’s recommendation. I had seen a few random episodes before I really got into it, but I wasn’t sure what it was, so I wasn’t hooked. Until my friend explained it to me and insisted that my family and I would love it. Which is exactly what happened. We all fell in love with the show and became obsessed. We flew through the seasons and found ourselves putting it on every chance we could. It was a show we could watch as a family and something that combined all our various loves of sci-fi, history, and basically everything else.

Over the years, there has been many different companions and twelve doctors (thirteen if you count the War Doctor in the total). Every single one of these characters has been perfect for the time of the show. There are arguments among the fandom about which Doctors and which companions are the best, but that all depends on opinion. 11 was the first Doctor I watched; but as of right now, 12 is my favorite for many reasons. However, Peter Capaldi has been the Doctor for three seasons now, which means his time is done. He will regenerate into a new person at Christmas.

I know for a fact that I’m not ready.

It’s always an emotional time, but this Christmas Special is going to be the worst.

However, one thing has given me hope and given me something to look forward to. It was announced long before filming for season 10 began that it would be Capaldi’s last. So since that point, there has been a lot of speculation as to who would take up the mantle of the 13th Doctor. Rumors were all we had for months upon months. Would it be someone young? Someone old? A person of color maybe?

Over the past season, the show had made a pretty clear point of Time Lords (the Doctor’s species) could change into the opposite sex. Maybe I should explain briefly. The Doctor is from another planet and if they’re mortally wounded, they can regenerate and become a new person. This was used when the First Doctor became very ill and couldn’t continue. They couldn’t just end the show when it was just taking off, so they came up with a way to keep it going. But this past season, they’ve been heavily hinting at the fact that they can jump between. A general on the Doctor’s home planet was a man, then regenerated back into a woman. The Master (aka the Doctor’s enemy who used to be his friend) also regenerated into a woman who called herself Missy.

I was hopeful that after 54 years, we would see a woman take up the title of the Doctor, but I wasn’t sure if they were going to take that leap. I didn’t want to get my hopes up.

So when they released a trailer saying they were going to announce the new Doctor at the conclusion of the Men’s Wimbledon match, I was ecstatic. I told my friend to keep me updated because I was working a summer camp and couldn’t keep checking twitter until it was released.

I was getting things ready for the campers when my friend texted me in a fit. I clicked on the link and watched the clip, my heart pounding. Would this be it? Would they finally cast a woman in the title role?

As I watched the video, I noticed small details that were pointing in that direction, but I shut myself down just in case. But as soon as the Doctor took off their hood, I screamed.

(See below for the clip)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAhChdgGtHA

Jodie Whittaker would be the first woman to take the role of the Doctor.

This has honestly been a long time coming.

The past few years have been absolutely amazing for powerful female leads. “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” gave us a lead female jedi knight (or soon to be). They did a reboot of the “Ghostbusters” movies with a all female team and I honestly liked it better than the original (don’t get me wrong, it’s a classic, but very inappropriate with some underlying sexism thrown in). I’ve seen TV shows really take a strong woman lead and run with it, giving all different types of women a chance to shine. And “Wonder Woman”! The first real superhero movie of this new era with a woman at the helm. Not only has it become my favorite movie, but it is unlike any other superhero/regular movie I have ever seen. It’s about time little girls have this kind of representation in the media.

Now with the 13th Doctor being a woman, it’s just getting even better.

I, for one, am beyond excited to see what she will bring to the show and the inspiration she will give to millions of little girls who see no limit in time and space.

But, unfortunately I am not a representation of what everyone thinks.

There are a lot of fans who are beyond angry that a character that has been a man for over fifty years, is suddenly a woman. Or that she won’t be able to handle the Doctor’s travels. Or basically any other reason that boils down to being a woman.

Now, that’s not what everyone thinks. A lot of people (including me) are beyond excited. And some are excited, but want to see her in action before making a decision. I totally get the last one. The people who already hate her because she’s a women? Not so much.

I can’t tell you what to think, but I for one am excited to see what she brings to the show. I’m stoked to see her fight for the little guy and travel around the universe saving worlds with kindness and compassion.

This move couldn’t have come at a better time.

So until we see her take the controls of the TARDIS at Christmas, I’ll be happy thinking of all she will bring and do.

Those who disagree will just have to deal with it.

The future is, and always will be, girl.