A Rant About Holding the Door

A Rant About Holding the Door

Don't be that guy that everyone hates that sees there is someone behind them, then proceeds to not hold it for the person 3 feet behind them.

222
A Rant About Holding the Door
Cracked.com

Okay, this is the NUMBER ONE thing I hate and will forever be salty about. If I am 5 feet behind you and we make eye contact through the reflection of the door and you then proceed to go inside without holding the door, you will gain a spot on my Public Enemies list. It especially makes me angry when it happens at school because the doors to my residence hall are locked at all times, so residents need to swipe their IDs to get in. So, when the people in front of me have already taken the time to swipe in and then proceed to snake in the door causing it to close when I’m .0001 seconds from being able to grab it, I get angry; especially since it would be so easy to just take a few seconds out of their apparently busy day to hold the door open.

I’m talking about you red backpack, and you too suitcase lady.

Speaking of suitcase lady, she had the nerve to walk out the door and let it close behind her when I was only five feet away, then make eye contact with me and SMILE like it was all fine and dandy, peachy keen. Usually I am just a normal amount of angry but that incident had me enraged because all she had to do was hit the handicap button that automatically holds the door open and it would save me from needing to get my ID out with my hands already full and swipe into my dorm. But no, instead she let the door slowly close behind her, and then proceed to act like she had done nothing wrong. In that moment, I had never been so close to snapping on someone.

Holding the door, in my opinion, is an easy task that is just common courtesy. It doesn’t take any effort and if you’re not sprinting out the door at full speed, you probably will not miss those few seconds it would take to hold a door open for someone. In fact, even if you are in a hurry, you can hit the button to hold it open WHILE YOU’RE WALKING; you don’t even need to slow down! It really only takes a few seconds to make or break someone’s day. You can hold the door open and be a hero, or you can try to slither your way through the door like a completely asshole and not only make someone pissed at you, but quite possibly make them mad enough to rant to all their friends about it every time it happens, they might even be so mad they write an ARTICLE about it. Who knows.

So, next time you’re walking into a door and you know someone is behind you, please be a hero and hold the door for them. Don’t be that guy. A little really does go a long way.