Ranking The Movies Of The Star Wars Franchise

Which movies rank highest in a galaxy far, far, away

38
Bintang

With Rouge One: A Star Wars Story, coming out this week, and with this week being the week before finals here at Duquesne, it was decided amongst the guys on my floor that we would do one thing and one thing only in preparation for these two events. And that is to binge watch all the Star Wars franchise over the course of the week as a study break from finals, and in preparation for what looks to be a fantastic movie. Naturally the debate came up for what movies were the best out of the seven in the Star Wars franchise. While this is bound to generate some controversy with the rankings, here's my list for the best films in the franchise.

7. Phantom Menace- I could probably write a whole list of reasons of why this movie sucks, but I'll keep it simple. Too much talking about trade disputes and Jedi Council meetings. Not enough action. And then there is Jar Jar. I won’t go any farther with that. The whole movie serves as exposition for the rest of the prequels, and while there is some action in this movie, there is no where near enough to compensate for the amount of boring content there is. This movie does however see one of the best pieces of film score ever, “Duel of the Fates”, used in the final battle. It also sees one of the coolest lightsaber battles happen between Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan facing off against Darth Maul.

6. Attack of the Clones- Slightly more action than its predecessor, but still bogged down by all the political talk seen in Phantom Menace. This also sees the beginning of the Anakin and Padme relationship, which is just all kinds of weird and awkward. This also sees one of the most awesome characters in the prequels, Jango Fett, go out in a way not fitting of the badass demeanor of his character. While this does sow the seeds for his son, Boba, to take his place of best bounty hunter in the galaxy, it would’ve been better to see Jango go out with a bit more style. The Jedi battle on Geonosis is an incredible scene, and it also gives viewers the first look at the Death Star towards the end of the movie.

5. Empire Strikes Back- Ok this is where I may lose some people. This was also where most of my friends questioned the structure of my list. But Empire doesn’t really do it for me. While yes it’s cool to see Hoth and Bespin, two amazing environments in their own right, there’s something about this movie that doesn’t do it for me in a similar way that the other movies ranked ahead of it do. That’s not saying that this is a bad movie, quite the opposite. I think it’s a great movie, but it lacks something that puts it below many of the other movies. The battle between Vader and Luke is great, and the Battle of Hoth delivers some great action. The introduction of Yoda, and many of his great quotes, is also a highlight of this movie.

4. The Force Awakens- So if I didn’t lose you with where I ranked Empire, then I definitely lost you now. You’re probably asking yourself “How can this man in good conscious put this movie above Episode Five?” Here’s my case. Force Awakens was the first of the movies in the franchise that I was able to watch it’s theatrical release, and also the first movie in the franchise I was able to appreciate for more than all the special effects. I was able to appreciate the emotion the actors portrayed throughout. I was able to appreciate all the homages back to the Original Trilogy. And I was able to appreciate the filmmaking genius that J.J. Abrams was able to put on the Star Wars franchise. It was a fantastic movie. The action sequences, the introduction of the new characters like Finn and Rey while flawlessly incorporating old favorites like Han and Chewy, and the new plotline all combine to one of my favorite movies of modern memory.

3. Return of the Jedi- And this is where I lose everyone else. “How does Jedi get up to number three?” When I was little I had the Original Trilogy on DVD, and for some reason I always kept rewatching this movie. Now little me and me now probably had different reasons for loving this movie. To be honest, little me probably liked the movie because of the Ewoks and the slave Princess Leia costume. Now even though I’m older, I still find myself coming back to this movie as one of my favorites in the franchise. The battle between Vader and Luke, with Luke refusing to kill his father and Vader redeeming himself by sacrificing himself for the sake of Luke is one of the best scenes in the movie. The battle between the Imperial Navy and Rebel Fleet is visually amazing, and another highlight that sticks out to me. But perhaps the one thing that sets this movie apart is, and is still one of my favorite parts to this day, is the Ewoks. Cute and cuddly, but also not afraid to kick butt for the Rebels. And with the first time I watched Jedi falling before I turned ten, I fell on the side of the Ewok Line that loved the Ewoks because “they reminded us of our Teddies” according to Barney Stinson on How I Met Your Mother. But the Ewoks and all the action of the battle for Endor led to this movie becoming one of my favorite movies in the franchise.

2. Revenge of the Sith- Similar to Return of the Jedi, this movie was watched multiple times when I was little and I enjoyed it because of all the explosions and General Grievous being able to do all the cool things with four lightsabers. Then when I got older, I started to appreciate all the little things this movie did right that go unnoticed. The relationship between Anakin and Obi-Wan culminating with their final battle on Mustafar, the action in the first twenty minutes between the air battle above Coruscant and the second battle with Count Dooku, the little homages to not only New Hope but to also the other prequels, this movie got right what Clones and Menace got wrong. Action, just the right amount of emotion, and yes while there is political talk, it benefits the plot. The return of “Duel of the Fates” in the final battles between Yoda and the Emperor and Anakin and Obi-Wan returns and sets the stage for the greatest lightsaber battles in the prequels, and maybe even in the whole franchise.

1. A New Hope- The original and the best. Being introduced to the amazing characters of Luke, Leia and Han, and an entire galaxy far, far, away. The battle between the Rebellion and Empire. A movie that truly was ahead of it’s time. No CGI like the prequels, just good old fashioned acting at it’s finest. Some of the best actors of the modern era like Harrison Ford gave performances that put them on the map. The John Williams score is some of the best music ever written for a movie. The movie just screams nostalgia and is an instant classic.