They May Not Be My Biological Parents, But I Call My Grandparents 'Mom' & 'Dad'

They may not have given birth to me, but they were the people who raised me and I'm eternally grateful.

tiannat
tiannat
784

Dear Grandma and Grandpa,

From the moment I was born, you knew that you two would raise me. Not because my mother and father weren't capable, but because they weren't ready. I was not yours, but you intended to raise me like I was.

As a child, I remember driving up the street every day to go play at your house after school. From playing make-believe games with me, Grandpa sneaking me pieces of fudge before dinner, to Grandma buying me multitudes of Cabbage Patch Kids because I was obsessed.

personal

You both were there to pull my first tooth and you both bought me all my uniforms for school. You praised me when I got straight A's and calmed me down when I was stressed about Chemistry... or Geometry.

You sent me off to prom (all three years I attended), taught me how to drive, were front row to my graduation, and sent me off to a college that was 1,400 miles away.

Now, I am almost done with my freshman year of college, waiting to see where the future takes me. Because of this, you may feel like I am becoming more distant. And, I know, we don't talk every day... or sometimes every week but know that I can feel your love and prayers across the country.

I know that if I am having a bad day, I can talk to you about anything and you'll give me advice even though you aren't physically here to be my shoulder to cry on. I know that if I can't figure out how to cook something in the microwave, I can call Grandma and she'll give me exact instructions. I know that if need some extra cash, I can call Grandma (or maybe Grandpa, if I'm lucky) and she'll slip a little extra into my bank account. If my tire goes flat or my debit card declines, I know that I can call Grandpa and he'll get it all figured out. And, I even know that if I'm missing you, you're just a phone call away.

So, as I grow older and the realization that your baby girl is growing up and becoming more independent, know that even if I don't say it as much as I should, thank you. Thank you for being my parents. Not my stand-ins. Or my replacements. My parents. No one could have done a better job than the both of you (I mean, I think I turned out pretty good... right?).

personal

Sure, my mother and father brought me into this world. However, you two created me to be how I am today. You both will be there to walk me down the aisle, to watch me give birth to my future children, and to hold my hand until you can't anymore. You have always been Mom and Dad to me.

Some may say that I'm spoiled for having everything that you gave me. From the private education and a car at sixteen, but I just say, "No, I'm just loved a lot."

Thank you for all that you do for me,

Love, your daughter