Yes, Racism At St. Olaf College Exists

Yes, Racism At St. Olaf College Exists

What are you doing to stop racism?

39
Yes, Racism At St. Olaf College Exists
CBS Minnesota

Trigger Warnings: References to Racial Slurs and Hate Crimes

When I began this article, I was prepared to write the basic transcript I've been saying to my friends and teachers for the past week in response to the number of hate crimes surfacing on St. Olaf's campus. Sadly, as I was in the middle of writing that article, another hate crime was reported, causing myself and many others to drop whatever we were doing to congregate in our Buntrock Commons to protest. So long story short, I'm angry. VERY angry, and you're gonna read about it.

Before I go on, it's imperative to know that I am a white student. These acts of racism did not target me or any other white student on this campus whatsoever. This is not about me; my part in this protest is to be there and work with others towards actual changes on our campus. Another huge responsibility as a white person in this movement is to use my own privilege to speak up when others are silenced and hurt.

In the past week since the racial movement started, I've had the amazing and humbling experience of listening to the students of color (SOC) voice their anger with the administration and the student body alike. It's no secret to anyone that they are pissed off, and rightfully so. The hate crimes on campus started small with incidents of anonymous students writing the n-word on classroom whiteboards. These were addressed in emails sent to the entire student body from our college's president, David Anderson. The whiteboard n-words were not just a one time thing; they happened numerous times, and each time all that was done about it was another email from the President. The emails claimed that the administration was working towards finding out who was behind this, but to no avail so far. In more recent weeks, these generalized hate crimes have mutated into targeted hate crimes where students would leave notes on cars or in backpacks of SOC, saying terrible things like, "Go back to Africa," and "One less n***** to worry about...shut up or I'll shut you up." It's clear that these hate crimes have evolved into actual threats of safety, which is beyond unacceptable. So now we're doing something about it.

For the past week there have been sit-ins, protests, and even blockades to try and demonstrate just how severe these issues are, and yet there are still many people that I know who would rather stay in their dorms because the protests are "interfering with [their] learning." Now, the point of this article is not to call people out or point fingers. Instead, think of this article as a call to action. These issues are very real and very dangerous. It's our duty as students to stand together and work towards real and visible changes on this campus.

In addition to the increasing tension on campus, there comes the questions of what to do to spread our words and get more people to join the cause. There have been a few questions as to what way is the right way to make the message known to everyone and join us. First off, it is pertinent that threats and violence should never be used to convince people to join the cause. Turns out, the key to joining the cause is listening.

I said it once and I'll say it again and again: I am very white and very privileged. I do not experience the same amount racism as our students of color, nor will I ever face their level of discrimination in my life. Basically, my role in this revolution is to listen and spread the word. It is not my place to be the center of attention or tell our SOC how to protest. In addition, my role is also to extend to my friends the option of joining the movement to show their support. I also realize that with these responsibilities there comes those people who do not want to support the cause, or they feel that the protests aren't to their liking. When it comes to people like these (because there will be those people who will fight against you), you must realize you cannot force people to join or come to a protest. People don't work that way. What we can do make them aware that their actions always effect other people, whether they see it or not. Another important note that there are some people who cannot come to large protests and such events due to illnesses, physical incapabilities, or mental issues/anxiety. It is important that we NEVER just assume that since someone is unable to attend a protest we automatically assume that person is racist/against the cause. If a friend of yours leaves a protest or chooses not to go show their support, ask them why. Educate them if they just don't understand. Reach out and show support. Do not let your friends stay ignorant.

One last thing to remember is who and what you're fighting for and to always be open to knowledge. We cannot expect the ignorant to learn if we are not willing to learn as well. We need to be all in this together. With this departing message, I state firmly: consistency is key. Don't show your support for one event and hold that as a token so you don't feel required to attend any other protests or events. Make a fuss and make it known far and wide that this issue is real and needs to be solved. Keep your ears and heart open and show everyone compassion and understanding.