10 Pieces Of Advise From The Goddess Herself, Rachel Hollis
Celebrities

Bring these quotes with you to begin the new year!

914

Rachel Hollis is the number-one New York Times best-selling author of "Girl Wash, Your Face" and is known for her motivational books, motivational speaking, podcasts and was also named as one of the "Top 30 Entrepreneurs under 30." When I first heard about Hollis, I was skeptical. Mainly because I didn't think I needed to read a "self-help" book and that I'm perfectly confident and happy as I am. Curiosity got the best of me and I decided to read her book, "Girl, Wash Your Face." I quickly learned that her message is a lot more than just motivational, it's about how to live your life for yourself and empowering women of all backgrounds.

For those who are reading this and are skeptical like I was in the beginning, here are 10 quotes from Hollis that will convince you otherwise.

1. "If you're unhappy, that's on you."

Hollis preaches as one of her main messages (and my personal favorite quote) that if you are unhappy about any aspect in your life it is up to you to fix it. Only you can make yourself happy, it isn't someone else's job to make you happy. It's on you.

2. "Someone else's opinion of you is none of your business."

Everyone always tells you to stop caring what people think about you. Hollis reiterates this but in a unique perspective. It shouldn't matter what anyone thinks of you because it's none of your business, it's there business. So ignore them and keep moving.

3. "Don't let someone in the cheap seats have an expensive opinion in your life."

Someone who doesn't invest in your life, their opinion doesn't matter. So don't give those people your time or energy.

4. "Never break a promise to yourself."

This one is self explanatory. Never break that promise.

5. "I refuse to live as half of myself because other people can't handle all of me." 

Cue the classic over done quote, "if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."

6. "Stop waiting on someone else to fix your life."

This goes hand in hand with the first quote. Someone else isn't going to fix things for you, it's all on you.

7. "Our words have power, but our actions shape lives."

My mom has always told me that actions speak louder than words. It still rings true no matter how old you get.

8. When you really want something, you will find a way. When you don't really want something, you'll find an excuse." 

Stop making excuses for yourself. A wise man once said, "just do it. Don't let your dreams be dreams. just do it."

9. "Our society makes plenty of room for complacency or laziness; we’re rarely surrounded by accountability. We’re also rarely surrounded by sugar-free vanilla lattes, but when I really want one, I somehow find a way to get one."

This is one that everyone in the country needs to read. We need to be held accountable for our actions, no more participation ribbons or gold stars because you tried. Stop shooting for mediocre and saying the Cs get degrees. Hold yourself accountable, hold your loved ones accountable and convince everyone to hold themselves accountable.

10. "You were not made to be small. You are not a little girl. You are a grown woman and it’s time you grew up."

For my ladies out there, don't take this the wrong way, but grow up. It's time to start living up to your full potential and putting yourself out there. Stop letting these cis-white men run the world. The future is female. So let's start building the future.